Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i have just find out that turbo i have had replaced a several months ago need to be ...replaced again. Thats basically the only issue with my B5 i have had turbo replaced bacuse didn't keep the oil letting it go everywhere it could :mad: One of the cylinder was completelly floaded...etc. my mehcanic got me a used turbo from a junk yard for $600 :mad: put it on and seems like now here we go again. i'm considering of buing a new unit . I really don't want to get rid of this car but this turbo issue is killing me financially :cry: , i don't want to put another used one now so i have to repalce it again in near future...does anyone know a place on internet where i can get this unit new for reasonable price that won't make my wife having a heart attack after she sees a credit card statement. I really need help with this :bow: Thanks a lot guys

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
dronek75 said:
Hi i have just find out that turbo i have had replaced a several months ago need to be ...replaced again. Thats basically the only issue with my B5 i have had turbo replaced bacuse didn't keep the oil letting it go everywhere it could :mad: One of the cylinder was completelly floaded...etc. my mehcanic got me a used turbo from a junk yard for $600 :mad: put it on and seems like now here we go again. i'm considering of buing a new unit . I really don't want to get rid of this car but this turbo issue is killing me financially :cry: , i don't want to put another used one now so i have to repalce it again in near future...does anyone know a place on internet where i can get this unit new for reasonable price that won't make my wife having a heart attack after she sees a credit card statement. I really need help with this :bow: Thanks a lot guys
The turbo i need is for 99 1.8T B5 with AEB engine code

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Maybe it's time for a new car. What year is yours and how many miles? Putting that kind of money into a car can foolish these days when you can purchase or lease a new one for less than what you are paying to repair your old one.

·
Registered
732 Posts
dronek75: If you're going to go used, there are good k03 used turbos for $100-$250 out there. I got one with low miles, more recent year, and little wear for $117. Check around and you'll find one. I also installed it myself in about 4 hours.

G

·
ShrinerMonkey said:
Maybe it's time for a new car. What year is yours and how many miles? Putting that kind of money into a car can foolish these days when you can purchase or lease a new one for less than what you are paying to repair your old one.
Where can i get a new car for $2 0r 300 bucks let me know! A bad turbo is no reason to chuck your car dude!

·
Registered
940 Posts
Getting the turbo is easy and "cheaper". It's the installation that'd kills, unless u DIY or your mechanic likes pro bono work :)

I don't understand why u paid 600 for a used k03 turbo when the new k04 go for around that price.... a typical used k03 turbo goes for 150-300 bucks around here.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Rice Boy said:
Getting the turbo is easy and "cheaper". It's the installation that'd kills, unless u DIY or your mechanic likes pro bono work :)

I don't understand why u paid 600 for a used k03 turbo when the new k04 go for around that price.... a typical used k03 turbo goes for 150-300 bucks around here.
I have had no idea there is this forum that could be a very helpful that time so i paid the price :cry: now i know :)

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ShrinerMonkey said:
Well i don't think i would get a new car for the price of a turbo, My B5 is great it's my first passat and i love everything about it, i still think it's a great car...by the way my passat is a B5 1.8T tiptronic with 70K on it, and getting rid of this beauty is out of question :)

·
Registered
732 Posts
dronek75: I'm suspicious of the fact that you have 2 failed turbos. You have an oil supply problem I think (sludge/coking). You need to get the engine de-sludged I think. I use Auto-RX and cleans the engine out gently and slowly and thoroughly.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ericpeterman said:
dronek75: I'm suspicious of the fact that you have 2 failed turbos. You have an oil supply problem I think (sludge/coking). You need to get the engine de-sludged I think. I use Auto-RX and cleans the engine out gently and slowly and thoroughly.
I have the same thought, as soon as I'll put a new turbo i will use auto-rx to desludge the engine, I feel that's where the problem is, i'm the second owner of this beauty, since i bought the car on auction for dealers, the original ( i think that was the original one :???: )failed after about 5 months i owned it. My mechanic is a freaking rip off i told him last time he was repalcing turbo to check it for sludge and he told me, there is no need of doing that with that mileage ( 70K ), most likelly he didn't want to get dirty :wink: instead he charged me $600 for a used turbo from a junk yard and said that i should be happy bacuse dealerdhip wants $1200 for reconditioned unit (not even a new one) also once he put it a "new" one in he told me that he has to give back the bad one to the dealer or something like it. Friend of mine recommended me this guy, he was working on his toyota car and said is good so i went to him with the problem... i guess it was a bad idea, and that's why i'm also looking for good mechanical shop near me (willimasburg-brooklyn) and will stay away from that gut that didn't even feel like checking it for sludge bouild up.
Here I want to thank You all for advice, Thanks a lot guys, i always tell my wife that owners of the passats are like a family here and if You have a family like that. they won't let You down. Cheers :beer:

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
dronek75 said:
Are you sure he even replaced the turbo? Turbo can not flood cylinders with oil or gas.

What are the actual symptoms of your problem? Failed turbo is almost unrecognizable by average driver. The car is normally driveable and does not exhibit any symptoms. So how do you know the turbo is gone?

·
Registered
732 Posts
Boris: I was wondering about that myself.

Sidenote: You said that a failed turbo is almost unrecognizable, but that is not my experience. A failed turbo can exhibit the following:

-Loud whining or growling sound in relation to RPM (Bearing failure).
-Spewing of metal into oil as bearing fails, metal visible on dipstick and/or during oil changes.
-Loss of boost, so low power.
-Spewing of oil into exhaust stream.

What failures are there that would go unnoticed?

·
Registered
732 Posts
99BlackB5: Turn down your worry volume. :) The turbos in these cars can go the distance just fine as long as they have a) oil flowing to them b) water flowing to them.

So change your oil regularly and use spec synthetic. If it were me I'd run a pattern of Auto-RX considering you have 118k to really clean everything. It's sludged up oil intake screens and/or clogged overextended oil filters that cause oil starvation. Make sure your PCV and crankcase breather hose are in good shape. Also, let the engine idle or cruise the car for a few minutes after hard boost to let the turbine body cool so you don't coke the oil.

Drive the car and enjoy it!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Are you sure he even replaced the turbo? Turbo can not flood cylinders with oil or gas.

What are the actual symptoms of your problem? Failed turbo is almost unrecognizable by average driver. The car is normally driveable and does not exhibit any symptoms. So how do you know the turbo is gone?[/quote]
well here is what happend...I was driving to the store and all of the sudden i started feeling like vibrations under the gas pedal then engine start vibrating , check engine light started blinking, so i pulled over immediatelly after that, turned off the engine, waited a few minutes, turned it back on, engine was still vibratinig/shaking "check engine" light was ON at all time, so i was bale to drive back (thankfuly only about 1 mile) home and that was it...before all that for a couple of weeks while driving on idle i had misfirings on spark plugs and started loosing the power, no matter how hard i pushed gas pedal it still was driving like a mule. I took a car to the shop, cylinder # 2 was floaded, oil was in some pipes when the disconeccted them somehwere under the car, piston was all wet on top when he showed me with the flishlight once he pulled off sparkplugs, car was till misfiring when the guy took it for the test drive when i dropped my car by his shop. Verdict of his: Bad turbo had to be repalced, i left the car he called me next day and said that they still having a problem with that cylinder # 2 after that they figured out that some electronic module for the price of almost $400 from dealership needed to be replced as well to get this cylinder to work. The whole cost was about $1800 ; turbo $600, module $400 plus labor.
Now something again, one the cold engine when i turn it ON there is a blue smoke coming out of the exchaust ( did little over 2000 miles since thet repairs with turbo) actually i have seen this smoke for some time now after i picked up my car, the bluse moke shows up also once i'm taking off. I went back to the guy that worked on my turbo and he said there could be a mayor problem with the engine :mad: but i didn't belive him and went to another shop , there is a a guy that had a twin turbo on his mitsubishi 3000GT ( 400 ponnies on the whels) so he is quite familiar with turbo issues and he told me that could be a bad turbo again or valve seals but messed valve seals on the car that has 70K on it could be weird.
So I'm totally confused now, cur seems to be running fine, but this blue smoke is bugging me all the time, also I have to add about 1 US quart of engine oil after just 2000 miles, after i picked up the car after turbo has been repalced. I'm tataly confused, where the hell could be a problem :???:

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
dronek75 said:

What are the actual symptoms of your problem? Failed turbo is almost unrecognizable by average driver. The car is normally driveable and does not exhibit any symptoms. So how do you know the turbo is gone?
well here is what happend...I was driving to the store and all of the sudden i started feeling like vibrations under the gas pedal then engine start vibrating , check engine light started blinking, so i pulled over immediatelly after that, turned off the engine, waited a few minutes, turned it back on, engine was still vibratinig/shaking "check engine" light was ON at all time, so i was bale to drive back (thankfuly only about 1 mile) home and that was it...before all that for a couple of weeks while driving on idle i had misfirings on spark plugs and started loosing the power, no matter how hard i pushed gas pedal it still was driving like a mule. I took a car to the shop, cylinder # 2 was floaded, oil was in some pipes when the disconeccted them somehwere under the car, piston was all wet on top when he showed me with the flishlight once he pulled off sparkplugs, car was till misfiring when the guy took it for the test drive when i dropped my car by his shop. Verdict of his: Bad turbo had to be repalced, i left the car he called me next day and said that they still having a problem with that cylinder # 2 after that they figured out that some electronic module for the price of almost $400 from dealership needed to be replced as well to get this cylinder to work. The whole cost was about $1800 ; turbo $600, module $400 plus labor.
Now something again, one the cold engine when i turn it ON there is a blue smoke coming out of the exchaust ( did little over 2000 miles since thet repairs with turbo) actually i have seen this smoke for some time now after i picked up my car, the bluse moke shows up also once i'm taking off. I went back to the guy that worked on my turbo and he said there could be a mayor problem with the engine :mad: but i didn't belive him and went to another shop , there is a a guy that had a twin turbo on his mitsubishi 3000GT ( 400 ponnies on the whels) so he is quite familiar with turbo issues and he told me that could be a bad turbo again or valve seals but messed valve seals on the car that has 70K on it could be weird.
So I'm totally confused now, cur seems to be running fine, but this blue smoke is bugging me all the time, also I have to add about 1 US quart of engine oil after just 2000 miles, after i picked up the car after turbo has been repalced. I'm tataly confused, where the hell could be a problem :???:[/quote]

My guess:

your ICM module failed (common at your mileage/year), preventing #2 spark plug from firing. this soaked down the cylinder with FUEL and caused your rough running. turbo was probably OK. the guy should have scanned codes and seen the misfire and fixed that first.

It's normal for these cars to get small ammounts of oil all throughout the intake system and breather system, however not enough to cause smoke or show up on the plugs.

So, now if you are getting smoke you could now have a bad turbo that is leaking oil from its bearing into the air intake/tract in a large enough quantity which is being burned. I would pull the turbo and get it checked out. If bad, either get a low-mileage used turbo from the club or buy a new one from a cheap place on-line. This motor is good for 200k-300k miles easy so I doubt any internals are worn to cause the smoke (ie rings, seals)

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
scotty_passat said:
dronek75 said:

So I'm totally confused now, cur seems to be running fine, but this blue smoke is bugging me all the time, also I have to add about 1 US quart of engine oil after just 2000 miles, after i picked up the car after turbo has been repalced. I'm tataly confused, where the hell could be a problem :???:

My guess:

your ICM module failed (common at your mileage/year), preventing #2 spark plug from firing. this soaked down the cylinder with FUEL and caused your rough running. turbo was probably OK. the guy should have scanned codes and seen the misfire and fixed that first.

It's normal for these cars to get small ammounts of oil all throughout the intake system and breather system, however not enough to cause smoke or show up on the plugs.

So, now if you are getting smoke you could now have a bad turbo that is leaking oil from its bearing into the air intake/tract in a large enough quantity which is being burned. I would pull the turbo and get it checked out. If bad, either get a low-mileage used turbo from the club or buy a new one from a cheap place on-line. This motor is good for 200k-300k miles easy so I doubt any internals are worn to cause the smoke (ie rings, seals)
I second Scotty. You don't get misfire when turbo fails. You get it when the ICM fails. You may try to swap your coils into different positions and if the misfire will stay at #2 you know it's the ICM. If then you have misfire on different cylinder it's the coil.

Also to answer the question how it is possible for turbo to fail without symptoms? Waste gate rod failure due to metal fatigue induced by high temperatures due to cooling oil starvation. This was the main culprit on majority of 98 & 99 cars turbo failure. The early cars did not have oil line shield installed which caused coking of oil in the lines. After certain point there was not enough oil circulating so you had high temps, and the wastegate rod failed. That ment wastegate being open at all times and no boost, but pretty much void of any symptoms. BTW for the average driver, the lack of boost was imperceptible and many drove their cars for long time without knowing anything was wrong.
To alleviate any fears, VW remedied this problem in 99 in mid year by installing the heat shield and increasing the inner diameter on the oil line. THat's why you don't hear about turbo failures anymore.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.