Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hoping someone who knows these cars better than I do can help me.

I've got a an '04 B5.5 4Motion sedan with a manual transmission, 120k miles, and there's a rotational noise that was recently diagnosed at the shop as likely coming from a bad bearing in the transmission. It's not really loud and I can live with the noise, but I'm a little worried about the transmission failing on me somewhere in the middle of nowhere. I thought these manual trannys are supposed to be fairly bombproof. If it's cheap enough, I could replace the current tranny with a used one. Seems a rebuild is going to put the cost too high to make sense even though I really like this car.

Question 1 - I found a replacement 5-speed, 4Motion tranny with 90k claimed miles "no issues" and a 1-month warranty for $400. They also said they would install for another $800. Is this worth it? Mileage too high? I don't know anything about this repair shop and there's no reviews online. I'm not even sure they have a website. I was thinking I'd pay them a visit and see what I see.

Any input or advice on that?

Question 2 - I've heard that the B5.5 shares its transmissions with both the Audi A4 and A6 making them easily sourced for the Passat. If so, does anyone know what years of Audi models do? Is there a specific transmission ID or model number that would be useful for searching online?

Can anyone recommend a reasonable, reputable shop/mechanic in the Denver area?

·
Registered
28,069 Posts
The don't know if the B5 A4 used the same final drive gear ratio as the Passat. The A4 has a 3.889 final drive, the Passat 5sp manual 4Mo is reported to be 3.70 but I can not confirm that.

Reactions: wheelmann
1 - 3 of 3 Posts