Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WELL I think i may have to take this b5 back to mars where i got it. :mad: ive been calling shops all morning and survey says" i wont even work on a vw" and my favorit was " you sure you got 20valves ive never heard of that with 4 cyl" :crazy: :mad: and that was a machine shop .gee thanks well what the hell i am supposed to do about this car its been down since feb i am tired of seeing it broke and now i am just tired of seeing it why doesnt anyone carry parts around here or do service to these cars . this is why i wish i was back in NY i never had a problem finding anything but in florida damn . evertime i say vw they run for the hills :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

·
Registered
5,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
NoneRock said:
there are no VW dealers in your area that have either a service department or can point you in the right direction?
75 miles from here and they wont do it because its already apart..i would have to put the new head on then put it all back together and try and trick them but you know they will know and they will refuse to fix it then i got to pay them to put it back together again not to mention towing it 75 miles twice

·
Registered
5,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well feb 20th my bday i am driving to my party in Orlando. then TB belt broke. i tried the vag it said camshaft pos sens was bad. i bought another 85 bucks down the drain. turns out it was belt got car towed home. and its sat at my mothers since then. took me some time to tear it down i didn't know about the special tools so i ended up having to drill out head bolts because place sent me the wrong tool twice but i did find out valves bent and pistons damaged. i spent the better part of the next few months looking for pistons and another head. i thought mine was broke turns out it wasn't. i found pistons few weeks ago and a head from an a4 and its time to get the ult TB kit from ecs but i can find anyone to get it back together so now i have 2 good heads one with bad valves 4 new and 4 used and 4 bad pistons and a garage full of parts that no one will put back on....i cant do the pistons myself i read the Chilton's. its a little out of my scope to try it...so Ive been calling for weeks up until this morning and no one works on vw here and i don't know any mechanics but one who is moving and switching jobs and doesn't have the time and i myself am moving before or in sept. i am just at the end of my rope........

·
Registered
79 Posts
Give these guys a call:

Smitty's Auto Service & Parts
2920 Northeast 19th Drive Suite 8, Gainesville, FL 32609
(352) 367-3776

They specialize in VW's and did some work on my buddy's old GTI. It's not a big flashy shop, just kind a hole-in-the-wall place, so the labor is probably pretty cheap. I think the owner is Jamacian so you can probably pay in weed :lol: ...just kidding

·
Registered
5,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well guys i have all kinds of good news ....i found someone to put my car back together and i found my old mechanic in a parts store yesterday and he check my car out and turns out i dont need new pistons so i have to just dremel the tops ( a little he said) and shine them back up clean them really good and put the head back on :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: so i am calling ecs right now to get the rest and i hope to work on it this weekend...thanks for all the help guys and that place,smitty said they dont do that but they gave me a place that did...thanks again everyone

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
prepare to use gas treatment when starting it. I had mine sitting from end of March to the beginning of July waiting on parts. Once I got it all back together, it wouldn't start. We got it to idle after adding a few different gas treatments and more 93 octane. I ended up replacing the fuel filter and cleaning the throttle body, and it ran like a charm. Hope it all goes back together nicely.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
When my belt snapped I had the head machined and the seperate valves replaced with aftermarket parts because that was the cheaper route to go. As far as the pistons go they were damaged but not to the extent of replacing them. You could just take the head to a machine shop to repair and replace the valves, run ya about $500 and do the rest yourself since you've gotten it torn apart.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Guy- Dude, I'm sorry to hear about your most recent misfortunes...I just noticed this post for the first time today. It's been years since I had any auto work done in Slowcala, but if your newly-found mechanic doesn't work out, you could try Elliot Carr at Elliot's Import Carr Svc. He did some work on my Honda a few years back and saved me big bucks...when the power steering rack on my Accord started leaking, he rebuilt it for me (~$300), instead of replacing it like the dealership does (~$700 part). :bow: ...never leaked a drop after that.

You can also see if Ed Heater still has his shop (~5500 blk of South Pine Ave., just a bit south of and across from the Ocala Drive-In). A guy I work with used to take his Jetta GLI there and always had good experiences with him.

If you need a hand turning wrenches or putting in your new timing belt, let me know.

-Matt

·
Registered
5,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
tomorrow is the big day all my stuff except rotors and tires will be here ...thanks again everyone for all the help you guys and girls have made all the differance in me keeping my car ill be sure to let you know how it goes....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.