Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thursday started like any other day lately. Coffee. Walk the dog. Surf car and other forums. Even finally back to hitting the gym after many many, months. Also looked at the Word document I created containing a list of dealers and certain cars in inventory that interested me. I decided since I had nothing to lose at this point, I called a local Hyundai dealer - 2015 Sonata Sport 2.0T Limited still on the lot in Urban Sunset - Burnt Orange, our salesman at the Kia dealer - 2016 Forte5 SX loaded in Pearl White over black, and a Hyundai dealer about an hour away with several 2015 Sonata Sport 2.0T Limited's on the lot.
1. Local Hyundai dealer didn't want to go with my offer. Instead chose to offer me a 2013 Altima 3.5, 2013 Caddy ATS 2.0T, and a 2015 TAURUS !! at what I wanted to spend.
2. Our Kia guy never called me back.
3. Hyundai dealer an hour away emailed me back. "We might be able to do something in that neighborhood". She called me shortly afterwards with the "OK" to do something for me since they have seven nearly identically equipped 2015's. Just color combo as the difference. So we took a ride.. I - and the hubby even more so - were getting tired and cranky. The finance guy on in the afternoon that she spoke to was gone. The guy on now, was a dick. SHE called him that lol. Was wanting to do the usual "can I try through another bank to maybe get you a better rate?" I told him to go ahead with two stipulations. 1 - Even if you get me financed for more money, I'm not paying more than I offered. 2 - If it doesn't work out, we shake hands, I apologize for wasting your time and I return in the fall with more of a down payment. I'm not taking "another car" just for the sake of buying a car today. I "WANT" a car. I don't "NEED" one. At 8:30, I said if I don't have an offer in front of my by 9pm, we're leaving. At 9:15 I sent the hubby home. They got me financed through Hyundai rather than my Capital One pre-approval so that got me $4000 in incentives between them since it's a 2015. I left at 11:45pm. She gave me a "We Owe" for a complete detail since it was filthy. I told her I'll take care of it if she throws me a cargo net instead. done, so here it is after I got to it. 2015 Sonata Sport 2.0T Limited. Quartz White over black with orange stitching/piping. Single pass on half the hood with the fresh clay bar after washing it - 8 months on the dealer lot. Notice the irony of the paint code on the VIN tag....

·
Registered
5,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you sir. Only think lacking that I'm not gonna miss is the heated steering wheel. Smart Key, Nav, Android Auto, heated front & rear seats, ventilated fronts, dual done climate control. Smart cruise control is bad ass I must say.

·
Registered
5,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I took a ride to the dealer yesterday to get the cargo net and point out the scratches on the left rear interior "carbon fiber" door trim piece. They ordered a new one. I got them to throw me an oil change for my "inconvenience" as well as it having been on their lot since late June, 500 miles on it or not. Insert the "You changed the oil too early on your W8 too soon" thread title here LOL. Those around long enough might remember that if it's not still searchable. No mods planned except for two. One I did last night. LED bulbs in the plate and reverse lights and an oil catch can set up - reduce intake build up issues associated with direct-injection engines. Link below. I've read a few long-term user reviews and they seem to work. Software ? I dunno... MAYBE down the road ;)

Catch cans. K5 Optima Store - Mishimoto Baffled Oil Catch Can

First night next to it's little brother. You can see the difference in the Forte's LED plate lights and the standard Sonata 194 bulbs.

Last night with new plate and reverse LEDs.

Plate lights are Phillips 194 bulbs. $9.99 each at Auto Zone around the corner. $12.74 for the twin pack on Amazon. Reverse lights are JDM Star 800 lumen Extreme Bright 921's. $22.00 also on Amazon. I also used Phillips LED's in the Forte dome/map/cargo lights and they're very bright. Sonata came with LED interior lighting.

·
Super Moderator
13,803 Posts
Reminds me I need to order my deautokey led rear bulbs. Very nice change with yours. I like it a lot. I'll be curious if the catch can does anything. Only one Golf R owner has reported the catching anything at all.

BTW, notice anything different on the forum?

·
Registered
5,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Reminds me I need to order my deautokey led rear bulbs. Very nice change with yours. I like it a lot. I'll be curious if the catch can does anything. Only one Golf R owner has reported the catching anything at all.

BTW, notice anything different on the forum?
I read a couple of long-term reviews of the catch can set up on Hyundai and Kia forums. One guy noted about a 1/2' of oil every 10K or so to drain out. Others just going with an intake service every 10-15K. Here's one set up. K5 Optima Store - Mishimoto Baffled Oil Catch Can

I'll "ask" for this as a Christmas gift lol. K5 Optima Store - K5OS Canbus Control Module

Having been away from the business for 8 years now, I'm amazed at the amount of "tech" in most any car nowadays. Whether a Hyundai or a Wraith, I still think it's badass that I started the car with my phone.

So when I went to pick up the cargo net hooks Monday, I pointed out the several scratches on the left rear door interior "carbon fiber" trim. She said she'd order a new piece. I texted her yesterday asking if it was going to be days or weeks for it to arrive. I want to get the oil changed at the same time - yeah only 600 miles - or now if it's going to take weeks to arrive. So her response was she was actually in the middle of it waiting to hear from Hyundai. I know what that meant. Hyundai isn't looking at the scratches as a "defect" in the panel or even "damage noted at delivery', or they would have noted it 8 months ago when they got the car. It's "lot damage" whether by an employee or test drives. The trim piece is part of the door panel, meaning they'd have to eat a $700 door panel plus shop labor. Since I'm a REASONABLE guy, I made an offer in compromise lol. Give me a trunk cargo mat, the rear bumper applique, touch up paint and add another 6 oil changes to the ones you already included. At "internal" pricing - sales dept to parts & service - all that is barely half of replacing the door panel. I'm ok with that.

So I got a car stickered at $36,700 total asking price($34,600 sticker + tint, nitrogen, blah blah blah), for $27,200 out the door with: cargo net, cargo tray, bumper applique, touch up paint,10 oil changes and Hyundai 4.9% financing at payments I wanted. I'm happy. Now if that VW dealer gave me a "similar" deal on a Golf R with an extended warranty ;)

And YES I noticed LMAO... :beer:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.