Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
7,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. For our apartments, we have designated spaces. Two spots/ apt. while the apartments on one side don't have any and the two sets of apartments on the other side have undesignated parking. I come back to this situation TIME AND TIME again. People from the other apartment buildings just take my spots. I've called the cops, but they can't tow the car without first informing the owner. Owner usually arrives, moves car, then repeats a few days later. The cops pretty much won't do anything about it.

Most of the apartments around me are inhabited by college students and calling campus security doesn't work either because they are off campus.

So what am I to do? I've put up flyers on their car, saying that I've reported their license plate number to the cops and if they park there again, it will be towed, but that doesn't seem to work anymore. I've thought of some mean things to do, but since I don't have a garage and my car stands out, I'm sure retribution would be smooth and brutal.

I'm left to do things like this:

four of those five cars do not belong in our section of the lot.

I don't particularly like my method either because I keep thinking there's the possibility that one of these idiots will just try to "squeeze" out of the block.

So what would you guys suggest doing?

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
print up some really official looking 'tickets' and place them on their cars.

who knows, maybe they'll think 'the housing police' will get them.

..it worked with 'the phone police'. I think.

·
0 Posts
Disclaimer" Oing what i would do could result in everlasting drama" With that said, i would first of put my bats in the trunk, Then i would block his ass in and wait for the honking of the horn!

Then i would come out and say good morning, whats wrong sir?...he would bark move your car your blocking me in. I would bark back hey keep your f#$kin car out of my spot, you park it there again your going to loose it, I pay for this spot and i dont want you in it.

Then i would wait to see how he wants to deal with it. If he is smart he will say ok just let me out. If he is not he will either meet the louieville brothers or have a sudden attack of the slow leaks, whatever he chooses. But i would make uncomfortable for him to park there! :evil:

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Make your own sign for the spot stating that anyone parked ther would be towed at the owners expense, it may deter some. does anyone know if you can call a private towing company and have them towed?

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
I would think that the owner of your apartment complex .. if you talk with him can put up signs that say that cars will be towed at owners expense...

and then you can call a specific tow company to get rid of them... :evil:

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
If it were me I'd block em. Worst case the cause some damage. Every time you do it, take down plate numbers so you know who did it.

I hate ass hats that park where they shouldn't.

I'd also be tempted to key a few of them but not the one in your spot so it's less evident it was you :)

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
have the owners of your apartment complex handle it.

I like the idea of putting official looking signs up. Maybe you could look for some around town in other apartment buildings...

At my brother's apt complex in College Station, TX, tow trucks drive around like vultures. If you park in there without a permit, you will be towed in about 5 minutes...

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
You could call a towing company from a pay phone and say this is car, here's the plate number, please tow it to AAMCO your transmission is shot or to the nearest Chevy dealership (if it's a Chevy for example) and that it won't start - please tow it here. ;)

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Julian,

If you rent and don't own the apartment...tell your landlord that you're going to begin withholding a portion of your rent unless the problem is dealt with.

If you OWN the apt. and the parking spot...the cops CAN tow without first notifying the owner. In fact...it's private property and this would be considered a "trespass." You should be able to call a tow company directly.

good luck :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
i hate people who don't follow rules, as if you don'T pay enoiugh for those damn spaces some fuck takes em away. the ideas i have will only cost you eiter jail time or alot of $$ so i won'T share. :wink: good luck

·
Registered
7,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
@urlik: you don't mean this sign do you (we have about 9 of them up):

Empty threats, I've called the cops, they won't tow without finding the owner first. I've called two tow truck companies, who also won't tow. They keep referring to some law that says that the owner must be informed before the car is towed.

Our landlord has already reduced our rent, but it still sucks A BIG one to not have a space. For a while, he even hired this old security guard to sit outside to make sure people weren't stealing spots. He installed one of those wooden gate roadblocks that you could activate with a remote, but that was broken the first week by a drunk idiot. The second week they put it back up, the fire dept. told us it was a fire hazard :mad:

Just spoke with our landlord and they are going to look into the situation again.

The explosives are a good idea...but would probably be more destructive than i like. Do you think it would be rude to just deflate all of their tires? I mean, if you really want the spot, it's yours, PERMANENTLY.

blah - it's a lose lose situation, I know my car will just get screwed in the process.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
when i was in college, pretty much all apts had their own parking sticker if you didnt have a parking sticker youd get towed. the apts teamed up with towing companies because the towing companies were happy to have the pleasure of taking someones car.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
when i was in college, pretty much all apts had their own parking sticker if you didnt have a parking sticker youd get towed. the apts teamed up with towing companies because the towing companies were happy to have the pleasure of taking someones car.
i like the way that works :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
you could drill a hole about 2ft from the back of the spot, in the center, drop a pole in it, then when you are gone pull it out of the hole and lock it up somehow...i dont know, other than that call a lawyer, or take things into your own hands and create a situation

1 - 20 of 54 Posts