Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
needs more cowbell
5,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
and who knew paper towels would scratch your car? ok probably everyone but me knew that but i used my good 'ol quicker picker upper bounty's and scrubbing off the remaining glue, left scars that i now have to try and polish once the weather gets nicer. it's not visible from a few feet away but i know its there :cry: :mad: just thought i'd mention my stupidity to hopefully bring awareness to someone else.

i still like the debadging BTW

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
A little Goo-Gone would have softened the glue and made removal much easier. :sad:

Glad you are happy with the results.

·
4th Gear (Wax on Wax off)
4,974 Posts
Yeep .. paper towels .. terry towels .. most cloths will all mar the paint if used and rubbed hard.

Best to soak the adhesive with naptha/WD-40/Goo Gone and rub off with the flat of your thumb. Also make sure the surface is very clean to start with so your not rubbing in dirt.

Get some Meguiars Scratch-X and polish the area. It has fillers in it so to make sure the marring is gone wipe the area gently with a 50/50 mix of rubbing alcohol & water. This will safely remove the fillers and the oils and let you see exactly where you stand. It might take a bit but try to stay away from more aggressive compounds.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts