Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my new/used 02 Passat, I have 80k miles on it and it is perfect except for 1 thing.....When it is started and is at temprature, the car almost shuts off and has a bit if a rough start. It never stalled out, but I was wondering wht it was, and what I can do to fix it??

·
Registered
816 Posts
Do you have the check engine light on ( CEL )? if you do, get the codes read at autozone or your local parts store. Comeback with the codes and i'm sure you could either search for a result or ask for help. Without codes, we won't be much help. Also find out your engine code.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No CEL on....I didnt know if maybe it was an ignition coil issue, spark plugs, or even a fuel filter. Thanks for the help though

·
Registered
11 Posts
Stutter

Hi Fellow Passat enthusiast...

The best would be to get the computer scanned for any error codes via a VAG Diagnostic tool....many private individuals have them as it is simply a cable with a "dongle" to interface with your laptop via usb, or at a garage.

More than likely it is the coolant temp sensor or Mass Airflow Sensor (MAF).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Fellow Passat enthusiast...

The best would be to get the computer scanned for any error codes via a VAG Diagnostic tool....many private individuals have them as it is simply a cable with a "dongle" to interface with your laptop via usb, or at a garage.

More than likely it is the coolant temp sensor or Mass Airflow Sensor (MAF).
So how much does it cost to replace the MAF?....Also how much to replace the coolant temp sensor

·
Registered
11,873 Posts
Coolant sensor depend which one but not to spend, MAF(if you do need one let me know I have an extra) can be spend, like 200-300 I believe. Get the car scanned, Autozone and Advancedauto parts both do it for free, or check out the Vag locator in the Information forum.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
On my new/used 02 Passat, I have 80k miles on it and it is perfect except for 1 thing.....When it is started and is at temprature, the car almost shuts off and has a bit if a rough start. It never stalled out, but I was wondering wht it was, and what I can do to fix it??
I've seen hairline cracks develop in the coil packs. Look at packs in total darkness for arcing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts