Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've had them for only one night and havent driven on any really dark roads yet but so far they seem to be about 1/3rd brighter as advertized. They're rated at 2100 lumens as compared to the stock H7 at 1500. They're really just 65watt H9's on an H7 base.

One difference is that I could never really see my own headlights except when I pulled up behind another car or a faint glinting on parked cars on the darker side streets, but they always seemed rather dim compared to other cars I've driven. Tonight I could see the lights on the road, on parked cars, on everything. Not blaringly bright but like a good useful headlight. And now when you look at the front of the car they look white, not yellow or whatever those fish eyes looked like... (and not blue). They're no HID's but that's not what I wanted, I wanted a nice bright white light and that's what I got.

The projector does a very good job of keeping the light directed and low so I don't think I'll be blinding other drivers and I havent gotten any angry flashes yet. I got them from Daniel Stern and was assured that there is no heat or wiring dangers with these.

I need to do some more driving but so far I'm very satisfied. There are no shorter life issues either. For my needs it's a no brainer.

PS - It's amazing how many people on message boards read advertisments that say "up to 90% more light" and think it says - 90% more light.

·
Confused
3,557 Posts
I'm curious if you have any pics. How much did you pay for them?

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
You couldn't see your own headlamps? Shit, I don't have great night vision and I can still see my low beams' well-defined pattern on the pavement- even when illuminated from above by streetlight.

They do make sense on a projector housing, but I would hesitate to use them on the reflector housings used on the high beams... then again, on high beams, I would be less concerned about glaring since I would never use them if a vehicle was oncoming.

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They were $29.40 each plus I think 5 or 6 $ shipping for both.

And no I couldn't see the lights on a lit road unless maybe if I got out of the car! Those are some dim bulbs. I used to pull up behind the other cars at a light and not see my own beams even on the back of a big shiny SUV until I was maybe 6 feet away. less if it was under a street light.

I do a lot of driving down by the beach at night where there's little light and these Passat low beams were barely adequate. I'm going to take a drive down there as soon as I can and put these bulbs to the test.

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I just went down to the beach on some unlit roads, poorly lit roads and normal roads and let me tell you that those bulbs light up the road! It was a totally different experience. I never felt confident driving the Passat down there at any kind of higher speed and at several points I always used the brights which were too bright but it's better than being blind. But with these osram 65's I never felt I needed any brights at all. The road was well lit up to a good distance ahead and the beams are low and wide... perfect. I have excellent headlights now and I'm thrilled!

If anyone wants just good regular headlights, no blue or purple, just white light cast down on the road hundreds of feet ahead, these will do it. Not as cool looking as HID but I don't think I'm blinding anyone yet.

I'd say the description I was given was 100% accurate, 33% more light and whiter. (not blue)

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
And no I couldn't see the lights on a lit road unless maybe if I got out of the car! Those are some dim bulbs. I used to pull up behind the other cars at a light and not see my own beams even on the back of a big shiny SUV until I was maybe 6 feet away. less if it was under a street light.
If they were really that dim, something was wrong. Either the bulbs were really crappy, or you have a voltage problem. Did you measure the voltage at the lamp terminals?

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If they were really that dim, something was wrong. Either the bulbs were really crappy, or you have a voltage problem. Did you measure the voltage at the lamp terminals?
No I didn't take any measurments but I did clean the contacts with a little DeOxit which I always use on everything electrical. That may have helped but remember these bulbs are 2100 lumens.

I'm thinking of putting one stock bulb back in to take some pics and if I do I'll take measurments then.

I've seen other Passats on the road and they all look dim to me. The projectors do a great job of keeping the light on the road but that thick lense seems to cut actual light output. These new bulbs are supposed to be like high beams but aren't even close in that housing.

All I know is that I CAN SEE finally and I'm thrilled. I just need to do a little more testing to see if I'm blinding other drivers. I don't think it's bothering oncoming traffic but it may be too much to the cars in front of me.

This is the highest-output, most efficient H7 available from anyone!. This is a 65-watt bulb (10 more than an ordinary H7) that produces 2100 lumens (700 more than an ordinary H7). Same 500-hour rated lifespan as a good quality standard H7 bulb. Perfect upgrade for motorcycles, racing headlamps, diving lights, agricultural and industrial work lamps.

·
In reverse, but chained to a tree.
13,904 Posts
take them out NOW.
the oem headlights are made for 55 watt, not 65 watt.
you're going to slow-burn your wires like mine have been.

·
Registered
24 Posts
take them out NOW.
what do you mean by slow burning that over time the wires will eventually burn out (meaning the wiring has to be replaced) ? how long does that actually take?

·
Registered
80 Posts
OEM wiring can handle 65W lamps but with 100w you would defenetly fry wiring.

There's no reason to cheer passats oem halogens and brighter bulbs gives only minor improvement. Other thing is why you don't use brights?

I have in my 3bg oem-xenons and Bosch 175 rallye brights with xenons. Now when there's snow in the ground I can see about 1/2 mile :bowdown: and i suppose when snow goes away they are still good for 3/8 mile. Defenetly overkill but we don't have too much traffic here.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
take them out NOW.
I don't think I'd sweat burning anything out. 55w bulbs draw 4.6 amps at 12 volts and 65w bulbs draw 5.4 amps, no biggie and you don't even have to change your fuses.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I have the Osram Hyper bulbs from rallylights.com for all 4 HL bulbs in our Passat and am impressed with the out put. Bright, white, and it's not really noticeable for oncoming traffic, my wife and I both tested this with all three of our cars for comparison...

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
I put some Hella H7's (standard) in my B5 with H4's (135w, I think) for the brights. Lights up the road in front of me really nice, but doesn't get the projection down the road like the Euro kit in my Talon did. I'll have to get some projector housings or the Euro ones at some point.

I'll run these and see what happens to the wires. The Talon's were just fine after several years.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts