Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
One more time, and I'm outta here
5,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2001 B5.5 1.8weT Triptronic is at 68,765 miles. It's due for an inspection here this month. I know there are a few things I need to do.

1) Change the ATF fluid.
2) Oil change in 1,000 miles.
3) I have a small leak in the power steering line somewhere. Does anyone know where the pump is for the power steering fluid? Is there a pump? Anyone else have this problem?
4) In April of 2007 I'm going to get the timing belt changed. I have a quote from Next Level Tuning for about $700 after tax. I'm going to see if Three Rivers VW is in the park.
5) Fuel filter (skipped this at 60,000 miles)
6) Rear brakes

Well, I was going to take a vacation with my 2007 commissions but maybe I'll fix my money pit instead. At least she will be paid off in April/May of 2007.

8,184 Posts
ATF is nothing..I have done many....40 for the fluids(15mins tops)..oil change...me too need mine done about the same time. Brakes...good luck I have changed them and are cake. But getting them will be more and don't let next level do it...they wanted 68 bucks for mine...lol. TB we can do it so that wouldn't be 700 just 300 and you can still go on the trip...as for the powersteering pump..its not that its a hose and well I have the man upstairs looking at changing your Vac lines and powersteer lines as an X-mas gift...Cheer up. At least your brother didn't die and your GF of 5 years was fucking around on you:thumbup:

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
at least your brother didn't die... where did that come from?

i've been putting things off but nothing major. just minor annoyances but just like you, waiting to do everything at once. just don't have time to skip out on work to babysit the car. but this week, plan on installing some of these major mods that have been sitting around forever...

most of the things u listed seem very diy-doable, especially with pson around. don't skimp out on vacation... u'll go crazy by the end of the year.

8,184 Posts
LOL..bad year bad year.....To many things to list but a car is the least thing for me to be bumped out on (listed just afew things on this bad year for me). All my tools are downstairs and Well now that I am free..lol. I would help my roommate out in doing these small things.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
My 2001 B5 also has 68000 miles. I took a sample of the power steering fluid last week, put in a clear glass, and took it out in the daylight. Looked like coca cola LOL. I promptly ordered 2 litres of Pentosin CHF 11S and a couple of hose clamps from ECS tuning, which UPS is supposed to deliver today.

Gonna flush that baby out with fresh green PS fluid - don't have a clue how the existing fluid got so yucky brown - guess it's just 6 years worth of wear.

So I'd recommend anyone with over 60K miles and/or 5 years take a hard look at the PS fluid, and consider changing it out if you don't like what you see.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I have never even seen a DIY or how to flush out your PS? I have done the brakes but never the PS:lol:

I've seen remnants of PS flush instructions around the web, and one for an Audi A4 that looks pretty good, except the guy keeps confusing the supply and return terminology. If I have time after I do mine, I'll post instructions. Looks like the PS reservoir (and associated electronics just beneath it), may differ from model to model, which may be an issue if you want to loosen the reservoir and raise it up to make the flushing process easier. I'll find out when I do it, but not expecting much difficulty (fingers crossed).

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
I have never even seen a DIY or how to flush out your PS? I have done the brakes but never the PS:lol:
The easy way. Just undo the clamps on the lower hoses and do a drain and refill. 1 Litre should be good for a drain, fill, drain, fill cycle. Probably get 75% or more that way, plus you don't mess anything else up.

·
One more time, and I'm outta here
5,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
3) I have a small leak in the power steering line somewhere. Does anyone know where the pump is for the power steering fluid? Is there a pump? Anyone else have this problem?
Thanks to all for the input on flushing the PS fluid. I found my leak. It's the clips on one of the lines that runs from the PS resivoir. It seems like 90% of my leaks are due to clips breaking or not holding up.

Another thing I noticed is the braded vaccume lines are wearing worse than my other lines. Looks like I need to add to my "to do" list.

1.8tttttturbo, what are you going to wire up to that 6th switch?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts