Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well,

I got a 'good deal' for a set of rims and tires, but after I put them on, there was vibrations, weird pulling issues (the car would jolt side to side regardless of the crown of the road), there is a wobble noise, and the tires are pretty loud.

Tires are Falken Ziex 235/45 ZR17 with 75% tread on it. They are mounted on Audi A4 OEM 17x7 rims. It turns out that two of the rims are, "slightly bent, but they are not a safety issue".

Questions:

Can i save these tires? something about skimming them or something??

if not,
what is a good replacement for them?

I do TONS of highway milage. I love the feel of the grip on the road and the cornering is amazing (event with 120k on the original setup). I wouldn't mind loosing a bit of the road noise.

Thanks for the help guys!

·
Registered
27,591 Posts
It depends on which tire you have. The 912(?) are not directional and can be cross rotated to cut back on cupping. It usually takes 1000 miles or so to wear down a cupped tire if it is not too bad. If it is the 512, they are directional and can not be cross rotated. You might be able to smooth things out if you dismount the tires and switch sides, so the cupped section is on the outside.

I would either repair the rims or get 2 new ones and keep the bent ones for spares. They will vibrate on the highway until fixed even if they balance out.

For replacements, it depends on what you want out of a tire. The Bridgestone RE960AS seems to be holding up well for me. With over 30K on them, they are not even half worn and I tend to go through tires every 30-35K. The new Conti DWS is supposed to be great too.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They are directional. :(

Right now, the 'bent' ones are on the back of the car. I said ' ' because I can't see it or feel the bend. It was found on the balancer.

I saw that Blue is selling the same rims. maybe i can convince him to meet me half way. :)

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
PZ, what size wheels are you running the RE960 on? I was looking at these for my 17x7.5, but went with S-Drives instead. I've got about 10k miles, but not sure they'll last as long as the RE960. I went with the S-Drives because of pricing, but may go with the 960 later if still on the market. I think the S-Drive is a little soft to expect any long term mileage; maybe a 30k tire?

You know if there's an affordable way to get the wheel back to true round? If not, see if Blue will meet you (GL) and use these as winter or spares.

·
Registered
596 Posts
You could try tire truing, which is basically a lesser form of shaving, if you want to save some money.

The skittish ride and noisiness could be the nature of the tires, and/or being overinflated. Are they the 512's? Those are the worst tires I've ever owned. Those and the Yoko Yk520's.

·
Registered
27,591 Posts
PZ, what size wheels are you running the RE960 on? I was looking at these for my 17x7.5, but went with S-Drives instead. I've got about 10k miles, but not sure they'll last as long as the RE960. I went with the S-Drives because of pricing, but may go with the 960 later if still on the market. I think the S-Drive is a little soft to expect any long term mileage; maybe a 30k tire?
I'm running 225/50/16. The RE960 has a stiff sidewall, so handling is pretty good. It seemed good in deep snow too.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Maybe they won't be too quick to discontinue then. I looked at the RE760 Sports as well, but I needed more than summer tires, even here in NC.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts