Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it bad to start your car in the morning and leave with out waiting for a few minuates to let the engine get running? I usually get up and jump in my car and take off with out sitting there, right when i get in i get up to 35 mph and im like that for aproximatly 10 min. then i stop the car again and let it sit for like 4 hours. Do i really have to wait those few minuates? And if i dont let the car run for a few minuates and just leave will it mess up my engine?
Thanks for the help

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Your owners manual indicates that you should start driving right away, and will wear your engine more if you let it sit. So if you believe that, I pretty much do, you will actually do more harm than good.

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
I let it warm for 30 seconds and then drive under 3k RPM until it heats up.
You want a longer warm up for HWY.
I also like to take the passat out for a longer drive on days I drive it. Good to get it warmed up and get rid of the condesation in the exhaust.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
the only reason your owner's manual says to get moving is to save precious gasoline (sittiing around is a waste of gas). your car works more efficiently at operating temperature because 1) steady state operation is most efficient and 2) your cat(s) are heated up. so take it easy when you first start out until the temp gage reaches the middle portion.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have a hard time believing that driving right away is good. As I learned from classes as well as personal experience, right at start up in cold weather the piston rings are not at the temperature for proper expansion. so that easy going drive will cause ample blow by. I have always found it good practice to let the car idle 2-3 minutes.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
It takes a very long time for the car to warm up at idle. So that means lots of useless piston reciprocating and therefore unnecessary wear during that extended period of time below the correct operating temperature. The car will warm up faster and reach operating temperature more quickly if you just drive it gently.

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
i don't put mine in gear until the idle drops to normal. I then keep it under 3K rpm until the coolant temp guage is at normal operating temperature. That's how I've been doing it for more than a year now anyways.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
The Blue Blur said:
i don't put mine in gear until the idle drops to normal. I then keep it under 3K rpm until the coolant temp guage is at normal operating temperature. That's how I've been doing it for more than a year now anyways.

x2

I just want to make sure I allow enough time for the oil to circulate after sitting for a while. Its a car, not an investment and is prone to wear a little no matter what. Just don't start it up and dog the hell out of it.

8,184 Posts
Ok so let me get this right here......my ride is 6 years old and high miles and your telling me to drive it cold, right off the bat???? How are motors that are made from alum. blocks that can very easly warp do to heat without oil....VW mec told me that(which is why you can't jump the auto up in gears) and a older car run when cold I am sorry but no way is that right???

·
needs more cowbell
5,946 Posts
i drive it cold. uninsulated garage, 90k miles, 1999 model year, fairly similar region.
it's your car, you're allowed to let it warm up. i've done the same on ultra cold mornings, before and after i had a garage. i've just been told it's not needed on newer cars.
on with the engine warming :)

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
pson said:
Ok so let me get this right here......my ride is 6 years old and high miles and your telling me to drive it cold, right off the bat???? How are motors that are made from alum. blocks that can very easly warp do to heat without oil....VW mec told me that(which is why you can't jump the auto up in gears) and a older car run when cold I am sorry but no way is that right???
Just bustin' on you, dude. Do what you want. We have no garage so all of our cars have endured all kinds of cold weather. All of them have been run the same way - get in, start 'em, buckle up, and drive away easy. Aluminum block or not, this style has never caused any problems, even with engines with over 10 years and 150K miles on them.

Ummmm, and I don't think that the 1.8t has an aluminum block...dunno about the 2.8.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts