Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Tiptronic transmission has been slipping. If felt like a low fluid condsition. At the 110,000 mile service, I asked them to check it.
"Oh that's a sealed unit, it doesn't need service". The mechanic test drove it and "didn't experience the problem". By 112,000 miles it had gotten a bit worse - free revving at a stoplignt then going into gear.

I made an appointment (This past Monday) specifically for a fluid and filter change. They test drove the car and felt the problem but they thought it was an "electrical problem" and spent two hours plus on diagnosis. The car was not ready today. It will be ready tomorrow afternoon. When I called tonight, it "turned out to be both an electrical and fluid problem". I'm wondering if had they done the fluid change first, the "elecctrical problem" would have still been there. I know it's going to be at least $400, and I'm worried about how much higher than this it will be. If they have played "replace the computer" I'm sunk. There's no way of proving them wrong either.

The dealer is Bayside VW (NY) and they have just moved to a new purpose built service facility. I got to see the repair area today as I neded some stuff from the car. It's a good looking shop. The public areas are nice too - a little sparse right now though. Another plus is it's closer to my home. They have a new showroom in Bayside too - again very nicely done.

For those who know the old facilities, the Saab side of the business got both of them showroom and service (without much - if any - renovation).

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Sorry to hear about that. Where are they now? I bought my B5.5 from them a year and a half ago where they had a showroom the size of my bedroom and a 2 bay service area. How far did they move?

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Showroom is between the Mercedes dealer and their old service department.
The service department is now in Great Neck, about a half mile off Northern Blvd.
(I don't have the address handy, but it's almost to the LIRR tracks)

They've been good so far. I just wish they had started with the fluid change and then seen if electronic work was necessary, rather than the other way around.

The new service floor is at least as large as the entire old building. There is also a second level below the area I saw. I don't kniow if it's more service or indoor storage. The new showroom isn't too big, but it is elegant. (And this is coming from an architect) :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
First off, BAYSIDE vw SUCKS, at least the service center on northern blvd... If you know when your problem kicks in tell the service desk that you want a mechanic to take a test drive with you then explain to him what happens and stop by a dunkin donuts for a coffee or something and buddy up with the guy and tell him what you want him to do.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the tip.
*grin*
I'll remember it for next time. It's too late for this round.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
vincheung said:
First off, BAYSIDE vw SUCKS, at least the service center on northern blvd... If you know when your problem kicks in tell the service desk that you want a mechanic to take a test drive with you then explain to him what happens and stop by a dunkin donuts for a coffee or something and buddy up with the guy and tell him what you want him to do.
On the contrary, I heard good things about Bayside however, I could not wait 3 months to get an appointment for an oil change (when they were tiny) so bring my car to G/C - great people there. I think it's the good customer service that matters, techs will be techs no matter where you go.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Now that Bayside has moved its service department I think things will go a lot better. They have ten or twelve bays now all for VW instead of eight shared between VW and Saab.

I just got the call that my car is ready, and I got off relitively cheap!

There was a poor ground to the control module at the transmission ($127.50 to find and fix) and low fluid (just as I had told them!) $107.34

So the total with tax etc is only $255.39

I had also asked them to flush and replace the three year old brake fluid, but the movers broke the machine, so that will have to wait until the 115,000 mile service.

I can't wait to get the car back - two days with my folk's Camry has put me to sleep ... :sleep:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
3 Participants
David McC
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing