Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
5,427 Posts
agree ,agree,agree, I liked the old as it was about 1/2 the size ,i.e. the "title" of this post is "I hate this new forum software" do not need a billboard to remind me where I am and who I am with, look at the font size and how much room it takes, I guess I will get used to it.......as long as it does not scare away some of the old vets, hope for "tomvw" to chime in soon too, now I will ease myself off the soap box
If you screen is big enough, running your browser at 70 or 80 percent size helps compensate somewhat.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I don't hate it but I like the old theme better. I wrote some CSS to mimic the old theme in a very basic way. Here's what it looks like now....

Here's the CSS (Applied using Stylish in Chrome. Use Create New Style and in the Applies To.. section change to URLs on the domain www.passatworld.com):

CSS:
.message-cell--user {
    border-left: 5px solid rgb(246,247,247) !important;
    border-right: 1px solid #efefef !important;
    background-color: rgb(246,247,247) !important;
}
.message-userStats {
    font-size: 11px !important;
}
.message-attribution {
    color: white !important;
    background-color: rgb(104,123,161) !important;
}
.message-cell.california-message-cell {
    padding: 0 !important;
}
.message-cell--main {
    border-left: 5px solid #fafafa !important;
    background: #fafafa none !important;
    font: 13px verdana,geneva,lucida,'lucida grande',arial,helvetica,sans-serif;
}
.message-body {
    font: 13px verdana,geneva,lucida,'lucida grande',arial,helvetica,sans-serif;
}
.p-body {
    background-color: rgb(233,233,233) !important;
}
.p-navSticky {
    position: static !important;
}
.california-thread-sidebar {
    display: none !important;
}
I must note I did it pretty quick I just went to an old post in the internet archive's wayback machine and used a color dropper, and then hid the sidebar and un-stickied the navbar. So no guarantees it may break things horribly :)

(I already have noticed one thing, the 'Edit' link to edit the post is hidden in the blue bar because it has black text, but I'm not sure why... I'm not a CSS expert)

(I've already noticed another thing, it only works in Light Mode not Dark Mode)

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
You know PW runs on a commonly used forum platform software, so they are just following along with the "upgrade". For instance, I belong to ToyotaNation too, and it's now the same exact interface. Point being, I don't think they have much control over making improvements over the new design. I'm sure they can provide input, but not sure how much weight that will bring.

·
Registered
258 Posts
On a different computer with Windows 7 I had to change the font from 13px to 13.2px to make it a bit bold so it's easier to see like it was when I viewed the old vbulletin style on this computer. So the CSS above is close but not exact and may need some adjustments depending on the devices you use passatworld on. I have only tested on desktop devices.

Edit: Here's a screenshot of it 1920x1080 monitor:

·
Registered
26,102 Posts
The old system did have some issues with stoppages, slowdowns and repeat posts. I don't like the new format only because I don't like change in general. I guess it works better on phones, which would be the real reason for the change. I do like the easy to add pics, just click and drag.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Have to laugh .........every so often a "Geico" ad is inserted into the line up of posts......and as I scan thru I read: "Dream Car, Dream Savings" , surely you jest !

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
Have to laugh .........every so often a "Geico" ad is inserted into the line up of posts......and as I scan thru I read: "Dream Car, Dream Savings" , surely you jest !
If I really had my "dream" car, I wouldn't be saving jack shyte! I'd be paying through the arse.

·
Registered
26,102 Posts
I guess you don't run an Ad blocker? I don't see any ads and I use free AdBlock Plus.

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
I guess you don't run an Ad blocker? I don't see any ads and I use free AdBlock Plus.
Got to be honest, no I don't. Maybe I should check into something like that.

·
Registered
26,102 Posts
Telling it like it is, I like that. But that approach seems to make some people agitated- for some reason.
Trust me, I know about people getting agitated with how I say things. It was not intentional, it's how I am wired. It took a long time to realize that I needed to choose my words wisely. It's tough at times as I tend to say what I think and what comes to mind. I used to have an auto-reply at work that stated: "Brutally honest, but only for the brutality".

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
I actually had some kind ad blocker about 5 years ago. It made internet page performance painfully slow so I uninstalled it. Probably better solutions out now.

·
Registered
26,102 Posts
You can whitelist any pages that don't load with AdBlock.

·
Registered
258 Posts
If anyone is using that theme I posted earlier I made two tweaks. I can't edit my post (I can't edit posts older than xx hours now) so I'm bumping this thread with a follow up. I've been using the theme for 3 weeks and things have worked pretty well but now I've added two adjustments:

I clipped the banner graphic height to header height (so the passat graphic only appears behind the header):
CSS:
.p-header-banner {
    height: 72px !important;
}
Also I changed the background color in the signatures to match the post content color (gray) and halved the height of collapsed signatures to work around a bug in how some are displayed:
CSS:
.message-signature.signature-collapsed .signature-overlay {
    height: 50px !important;
    background: linear-gradient(rgba(250,250,250,0), 50%, #fafafa) !important;
}
.message-signature.signature-collapsed {
    max-height: 50px !important;
}

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
I do have to admit, the Edit Post feature works a thousand times better than it did as of late in the old PW forum scheme.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts