Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
reliability, power, navigation GAHHHHHHHHHHH The horror :wink:

·
0 Posts
Go to clubvtec.com you traitors :poke: :lol:eek:h yes i think were moving so pack it up!

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
wasnt a nightmare but i dreamt that i was watching a movie (exterior shots) of me driving my B5 to meet a girl i've known for 4 years for the first time, with "pictures of you" playing in the background

·
Registered
871 Posts
Z28Driver said:
Yeah, overrated reliability, low torque and some high RPM power. Well, navigation is a whole other story, of course. Crapy service, mashy brakes, rattling ugly hard plastic, falling off buttons, auto tranny crapping out at 60,000 miles on 5 YO car, enormous engine noise of leaf blower. Sounds like nightmare to me.

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
VW4.0L said:
Z28Driver said:
Yeah, overrated reliability, low torque and some high RPM power. Well, navigation is a whole other story, of course. Crapy service, mashy brakes, rattling ugly hard plastic, falling off buttons, auto tranny crapping out at 60,000 miles on 5 YO car, enormous engine noise of leaf blower. Sounds like nightmare to me.
low torque? 212 isnt exactly low better then all but the W8 and in the HP department its only off by 30.

as for crappy service I'll let you think VW is the pinnacle of auto service :)

·
Registered
871 Posts
Z28Driver said:
as for crappy service I'll let you think VW is the pinnacle of auto service :)
I've driven vdubs non stop for the last 7 years (mixed up with Mercs here and there, in addition, not instead). In meanwhile my sister have owned Hondas, with me taking care of any problems, for the last 9 years. My late father and now my mom had been driving Chevys, with me taking care of service 100% of the time. Among 4 makes GM has had the best service department (well, local dealer has service open 7 days a week from 7Am-midnight), with VW and Merc in second, after local VW dealer started offering loaner cars. There were drawbacks in both places, but always minor. When I teared off belly pan in Jetta, independent shop wanted $40 to remove it (I needed car and couldn't leave it there to wait for the part) and $200 to replace. Dealer removed for free, and repalced while waiting next day for something like $130 (not sure, remember it was significantly less). Honda doesn't even mention loaners in any form, ever. Period. They failed to diagnose intermitenly dying engine for about an year, which after brain storm we traced to failed ignition key switch (not sure I am calling it properly), which had TB on it with all symptoms described (found out later by accident). Dealer charged us $350 to replace some heater cord something (not to mention failure happened 2 weeks out of warranty). When year later tranny went south I found out that thing was supposed to be covered by recall, which dealer "forgot" to mention. Needless to say Honda never reimbursed my sis for it, even after letter from attorney (it was not worth persuing any further, attorney would cost more). After thourough research it turned out that tranny in 98-00 Accords failes commonly on pretty low miles vehicles (less than 60,000 miles in our case). Some were placed on extended warranty kinda recall (like window regulators in VWs). But we were out of luck and my sis paid $2000 to independent shop for replacement. I got nowhere with Honda NA offices, they were 100% deaf. Oh, forgot. After involving law office they did respond to letter with phone call. They said that they will cover 25% of cost of new tranny, if done at dealer only. Which was like 100% more expensive than independent. I think, I've described other problems we had with Honda. Now, take a guess: which brand is not on my sister's car shopping list? Even more, call her stupid,but she's been turned off all Japanese makes for good and cannot wait to get rid of here "top rated car".

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
have you read up on 98-00 VWs? they are bulletproof for sure :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
It must depend from dealer to dealer, but my service experience with Honda has been excellent. They were prompt to find the problem and costs were within the realm of reality.

Both I do business with are opened in the evening and easily give me a no-cost-except-gaz loaner for almost any repair other than oil change.

I was even surprised by an Acura salesman who was boasting "superior" Acura service that they were not opened in the evening.

As for reliability, it is top notch, no rattle with no unscheduled trop to dealer in 75000 miles. Like a clock. I had my first major repair this week; a 75$ CVS valve that caused my check engine to stay on.

They loaned me a 200000 miles Odyssey 1995 that you could swear that it was an 1-year vehicle looking at it. That was before I drove it because I got involved in an accident (minor) with it. :cry: ; this was my nightmare of the week. :)

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
honda service is really much better than vw. honda brakes are super shitty, and as far as the torque beating vw's, thier nubers are at what rpm? and how long do they peak at those numbers??
didnt we have this discussion already???

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
VW4.0L - Your experiences, while unacceptable, are the obvious minority compared with the overall experience most Honda owners have. Your comments on the Accord's power show that you really haven't researched the currently available Accord. As stated above, it's peak torque is 212 Ft. Lbs and it's peak HP is 240. Now, explain to me, how exactly is this deficient? Especially when compared to VW's 2.8L V6? It's got more torque, and 50 more HP. Even when compared to the 3.0L unit in the Audi, it's got slightly less torque (9 Lb. Ft less) but 20 more HP on the top! Yes, underpowered indeed. :roll:

Though, I will agree with you that I have heard about some problems with the automatics in 6th gen Accords, and apparenlty thin paint is a problem for both the Honda and Acura crowd. Though, I will disagree that the car is loud. I just test drove a 6 speed V6 Coupe yesterday for the 3rd time (cheaper than buying it! :lol:), and it was as quiet, if not quieter than my GLX. Plus, the power is amazingly smooth and deceptive. The Honda engine also makes it very easy to squeeze this potential out, since the engine is extremely smooth. You don't mind winding it up the tach, it's actually a pleasure. :wink: It's truly a wonderful car to actually drive, the transmission is smooth, clutch takeup is nice and the steering feels direct. Overall, a great value for anyone in the sport-coupe market! :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
1.8tbeout said:
honda service is really much better than vw. honda brakes are super shitty, and as far as the torque beating vw's, thier nubers are at what rpm? and how long do they peak at those numbers??
didnt we have this discussion already???
hmm they have more torque, they have more horsepower, they run a faster 1/4 mile. I wonder how we can justify VW being a better performer now....hmmm I know lets claim the rpms the power is made at is too high :roll: give it up FWIW the accord makes its horsepower at a lower RPM then the 1.8T in 4 cylinder mode 5500 vs 5900 and only 200 more rpm in 6 cylinder mode 6000 vs 6200

·
Registered
16 Posts
I always thought that VW's are more reliable than Honda's(kinda biased I guess... prolly cause Im from Europe) until I owned one. I have a 2002 Volkswagen Passat 1.8t manual wit 41000 miles on it. What has broken on it? 20000(infamous) Ignition Coils, 25000 Transmission(!), 30000 numerous dash rattles appear that dealer "fixes", 32000 much worse dash rattles re-appear, 40000 camshaft adjuster(I had to leave the car 3 separate times at the dealer for the whole day w/o loaner car until he finally figured out what the problem was, the first two times I brought the car they didnt find anything).
Having friend wit slightly to much older hondas just makes me feel bad(one of my friends 96 accord ex w/150000 ran w/o any problems other than regular maintenence until it was totaled).
And I have an off topic question. Why do VW's go through light bulbs faster than anybody else (what make do you see most often driving around wit only one working headlight).

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.