Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
23,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just did my 1st oil change last night and there was NO WAY I could take the friggin' filter off without it dripping a crapload of oil in a spot on the block that I COULD NOT wipe off. It's making me so mad because I want to keep this engine SPOTLESS (yeah, I'm weird like that) but it's friggin' impossible unless I steam clean it after every oil change. This blows.

Paul :thumbup:

·
Registered
160 Posts
I found the exact same thing. I've done one change so far. I've heard that if you put the filter in a plastic bag before removing it, or fasioning a catch trap out of a plastic jug to catch the oil as the filter unscrews it makes less mess. I'm coming to the end of A-RX cleaning, so soon (two weeks) I'll try it out.
Brad

·
Registered
694 Posts
I also use a large plastic glass at the bottom of the filter/bag to unscrew it (after initially loosening w/ the wrench). Catches drips and helps prevent getting burned.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
if you use the bag method, just make sure you don't use grocery bags with holes in them. D'oh. That one bit me once.

Nice idea on the milk jug. Also, I've started removing my filter by disconnecting the intercooler->throttle body hose. Helps to get the filter out, and gives more room in there. :)

-Mark

·
Registered
15 Posts
I use the top end of a coolant bottle, cut at an angle so it looks like a hai-lai raquet or a scoop, one side is 5 inches high the other is 9 - 11 inches high, put it under the filter so the tall side reaches behind the oil cooler and the filter is inside the bottle, loosen the filter, all the oil drips in the bottle, then drop the filter into the bottle, all the oil is in the handle, no splash.

I can't believe nobody else figured this out. If nobody else has then I request it be called the Mirou method. Thank you for your consideration.

Joe

·
Registered
104 Posts
There were at least several threads about this topic soon after I bought my 2003 1.8T. Hazet made a tool with a large cup/recess for the filter to collect the oil. Near $100 at that time (late 2002). Zelenda Tools had it on their site. Plastic bags and cut down gal milk jugs were also part of the discussions. The specifics of the jug shaping are more detailed here. So..you do get credit for making the mouse trap better.

·
Registered
272 Posts
i always found it easier to remove
the 3 screws holding the coolant bottle,
lifting it up 6 inches, and disconnecting the
coolant temp sensor wire.

then just lift it up, and towrds the front
of the car, itll' stay there for full access to the
filter :wink:

also, before you put your cut-up milk jug
under the filter.. spray some cleaner like
greased lightning, or simple green behind the
filter with the "Stream" setting on the spray
head. that way, if you doo spill oil, its easier
to cleanup 8)

·
Registered
23,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I tried that whole moving the coolant bottle trick but I couldn't get any torque on the filter to remove it. Hell, it was hard enough from underneath to get it out. :mad:

I will try that clean up trick though. Thanks!!

Paul :thumbup:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.