Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
still waiting on the H&R sports cuz the wait was 4-6 weeks......IT"S HELL! TRUST!!!:banghead: ......well i was wondering if the drop would be enough since i live in CA. if you know of any pics with this set up please post........ oh oh sorry the i got a 2003 passat b5.5 1.8t.......and i would also like to know how the ride would be....too harsh? etc.....well i got ONE! week left for all my pain and waiting ahaha i hope for it to be worth it :D

·
Registered
835 Posts
I have that set-up and I love the feel. Not harsh at all in my opinion and I'm currently riding on 19s staggered. I would prefer the front-end sit a tad lower but it doesn't bother me that much. Anyway, here's a pic...

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ooo! very nice b5.5 i got some 18's right now.....you think it would still look ok? and how'd you install your trunk lid??? i just got my diffuser and trunk lid color matched and they have to go on already.....;) i'm scared i'll do it wrong though.....:(

·
Registered
835 Posts
ooo! very nice b5.5 i got some 18's right now.....you think it would still look ok? and how'd you install your trunk lid??? i just got my diffuser and trunk lid color matched and they have to go on already.....;) i'm scared i'll do it wrong though.....:(
I think you will find that everyone has different tastes on this site. Me personally, I like a more aggressive look...dropped low with 19s. This winter i wanted to run no less than 17s but i got a great deal on some Road Americas and had to go with them.

I think the 19s fill the wheel-wells really nicely especially for the drop the H&Rs provide. I don't want to comment on your 18s because you have not mentioned tire size.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Guys,

I just ordered the H&R OE sports springs to go with the Koni yellows I've got on the car. I'm looking forward to the slight lowering and slightly firmer, more controled ride. Maybe one day I'll spring for some bigger wheels/tires....

So..from what I've read this is a good all around set-up. Waddaya all think?

·
Registered
28,326 Posts
Guys,

I just ordered the H&R OE sports springs to go with the Koni yellows I've got on the car. I'm looking forward to the slight lowering and slightly firmer, more controled ride. Maybe one day I'll spring for some bigger wheels/tires....

So..from what I've read this is a good all around set-up. Waddaya all think?
Yep, good setup. Nice ride, decent handling and just a little extra ground clearance vs The Sports.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I have that set-up and I love the feel. Not harsh at all in my opinion and I'm currently riding on 19s staggered. I would prefer the front-end sit a tad lower but it doesn't bother me that much. Anyway, here's a pic...

Now THAT is an awesome ride - you have a shot of your wheels? I am shopping and so far the only thing I am digging is the VW Phaeton Omanyt wheels - too expensive. You've got just the perfect stance - Classy but still agressive.

·
Registered
41 Posts
What rebound settings do you guys have on your Koni yellows? I've heard 1/2 to 3/4 turn (from full soft) for fronts, 1/4 to 1/2 turn (from full soft) for rears with the H&R OE sport springs.

Thx.

·
Registered
28,326 Posts
On my 1.8T FWD I ran 1/2 turn front and full soft rear. Nice ride, great on long trips. I would have turned them up to 1 turn front and 1/2 rear if I had the car longer.

On the 4MO, the V6 is heavier and I find 1 turn up front is a good starting place. The rear setting is 3/4.

·
Registered
41 Posts
PZ,

Does your 4MO ride taughter than your previous 1.8T? Do you think the rear differential and drive shafts contribute to the higher rear strut rebound settings?

Thx,

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
What rebound settings do you guys have on your Koni yellows? I've heard 1/2 to 3/4 turn (from full soft) for fronts, 1/4 to 1/2 turn (from full soft) for rears with the H&R OE sport springs.

Thx.
With Koni sport springs, we set the Koni yellows to one half turn from soft rear and three quarters turn from soft front, same as the 2003 Grassroots Motorsports magazine review as stated by scotty_passat on PW.
Road feel is much improved. Dive and squat nearly eliminated. Body roll reduced noticeably at normal and even somewhat sprited driving speeds (I'm not racing the car, so I dont know about at the limit). Handling just feels much more controlled, even with the oem conti touring tires, which are now clearly the weak link. Next up is summer tires, and then , if necessary, a rear sway bar.

Ride: More road feel, but not bad at all. At first it was hard to tell the difference from the stock setup in ride. I feel the bumps a little more, but it certainly is not jarring or anything. I don't think most non-enthusiasts would notice too much difference.

·
Registered
28,326 Posts
PZ,

Does your 4MO ride taughter than your previous 1.8T? Do you think the rear differential and drive shafts contribute to the higher rear strut rebound settings?

Thx,
No, the 4MO has an IRS vs the FWD rear twist beam. Makes a world of difference in the ride and handling. The IRS can take much higher spring and shock rates and still ride well. The downside is that we can not get a decent rear sway bar.

My 4MO spring rates are pretty high since I went with H+R Race springs from an A6Q. The handling is much tighter than my FWd sedan was, but the ride is still good.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts