Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a flat tire yesterday...
Jack up the car and am changing the tire. After i take off the flat and put it to the side, the jack breaks and the car falls about 4 inchs. Somehow its still holding the car about 3 inchs off the ground. Being a paranoid freak I carry an extra jack, so it worked out in the end. Just glad no part of me was under the car :nervous:

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Got a flat tire yesterday...
Jack up the car and am changing the tire. After i take off the flat and put it to the side, the jack breaks and the car falls about 4 inchs. Somehow its still holding the car about 3 inchs off the ground. Being a paranoid freak I carry an extra jack, so it worked out in the end. Just glad no part of me was under the car :nervous:
e-brake on ,wheel chocked, spare/flat tire under car when raised up/changing ?????????

·
Registered
49 Posts
Ya make sure you sneeze BEFORE you jack the car up. If ever I'm on a road trip I bring along my small hydraulic jack, as well as a can of goo. I am way against the goo cans, but if I get a flat on a highway bridge I'm going to gooo it up till I can get to a safe place to change it. My life isn't worth changing a flat tire.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yea, E-brake was on, it was put in the correct location as noted on the jack. It just made a noise and twisted all wierd. This was even on a level area. No body damage cept it caught part of my lower valence, but just the part that is under the car (not visible).

·
Registered
6,269 Posts
Well my mistake was that I didnt set the ebrake. And even though the jack still caught the car, it still twisted and bent like you described. Apparently it's prone to this even when all precautions are taken.

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
dam im scared after reading all this. if i ever get a flat i may call a friend instead of using the stock jack
don't be, i replaced my front wheel using the stock jack and it worked fine, and swapped it back with a new tire also using the stock jack... never had any probs.

·
Registered
15,829 Posts
At home I use a small floor jack, my problem is the driveway is gravel so nothing is really good. But that scissors jack is scary as hell.

Then again, the bottle jack that came with my Silverado is pretty scary too, but what's really bad is that the place you're supposed to put it under the frame is NOT FLAT. Think about how high up that jack is to get a truck tire off the ground. :nervous:

Edit: the first time I got a flat on that truck, it was in the driveway (picked up a screw from the road night before), we'd only had the truck a year, so my wife says "I should help you so I know how to do this." (I'd never changed a truck tire before so I had all the instructions out, getting the spare from under the bed etc) Ten minutes into it I said "You're not changing a tire on the highway, you're getting Triple A!"

1 - 13 of 13 Posts