Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

I got cooked by a Civic...

5K views 71 replies 40 participants last post by  atomicalex 
#1 ·
Ouch...
Was making a left turn into 2 lanes that merged. I was already in front of the Civic and I noticed he started to speed up. I really didn't feel being stuck behind anyone so I gassed it. The driver in the Civic didn't back down... we were side by side for a good 1/6 mile, but in the end i started to fade. Then, brake as another light was approaching, me... being behind... the Civic.

I did have a full car... which is about an extra 500 pounds, but I'm motivated to get my car chipped a little earlier than expected...

Found these...
http://www.car-videos.net/performance/view.asp?ID1=250&ID2=270

#3 ·
why put yourself in that situation ?:hmmm: :crazy:

i guess people really think all civics have stock motors and just a loud muffler don't you know they can put in a 220hp Type R jdm motor in it and run 13 seconds on a 1/4 mile ............ just because its a civic dont sleep on it ;) ..

#5 ·
Its true there is some really fast civics out there, but a plain jane civic is going to give a 1.8t tiptronic a definate run for its money. Especially with the extra weight. Civic might only have 115hp, but they weigh 2600 where we have 150-170, but weigh 3300?

#27 ·
Ouch...
Was making a left turn into 2 lanes that merged. I was already in front of the Civic and I noticed he started to speed up. I really didn't feel being stuck behind anyone so I gassed it. The driver in the Civic didn't back down... we were side by side for a good 1/6 mile, but in the end i started to fade. Then, brake as another light was approaching, me... being behind... the Civic.

I did have a full car... which is about an extra 500 pounds, but I'm motivated to get my car chipped a little earlier than expected...

Found these...
http://www.car-videos.net/performance/view.asp?ID1=250&ID2=270
Stay out of Maryland.

#38 ·
well i would hardly call what he did reckless or condone it as street racing. after seeing some other drivers and the way they drive (changing lanes w/o turn signal, swerving in and out, excesssive speeding, burning out at stoplights) i hardly see how we can come down on him so hard. i know i myself have sped up at merges so that i don't have to stop or get stuck behind someone i know is moving slow. just don't be idiotic about the way you do it.

#42 ·
for some people that could be definitely true, but a far stretch with the consideration of the rest of the bunch. all it takes is one small thing to cause a large downward spiral when dealing with automobiles. it isn't always the infantile drivers that have the worst accidents.

but honestly, before you go insulting and taking extreme offense to what we say, please understand we're trying to teach you a lesson of risk Vs. reward.

is you or someone else's life so easily thrown away for something as simple as going fast down city roads? nobody wants to pick up a news paper or click on the tube to find out yet another poor decision making driver made a bad choice and killed himself or others.

if you want to race people, i'm all for it. just please do it in a safe environment such as a track.
here, people have a large grudge against the poor decisions associated with cars, as very severe side affects can be extreemely easily associated with it.

now, that all aside, please take a look at a past few threads similar to this, and keep the cursing and anger low. this is the most common way people get banned, for not knowing how to take criticisms and going off on others easily.
it'd be cool for you to stay around.

#43 ·
I think this wasn't handled correctly.
Yes, I realize that street racing is unsafe; however, it's not relevant...
It wasn't a street race. Yes, one could argue that we were racing, but it was between a stock Passat and Civic. I got halfway through third gear, then braked gingerly for the next light.
I don't think I was ever criticized. Much more insulted, insulted for a hard acceleration beside a Civic.

But don't bother discussing the misconceptions that Passats are faster than Civics.

#46 ·
wow, the life of this thread was sucked right out with all these posts. i don't mind hearing stories every now and then about the competitiveness of automakers. honda manufacturers were fortunate enough to build a competant group of vehicles that have been the talk to the import tuning scene for years. anyone that has a competitve spirit is going to want to test their car against them. go get your passat chipped, and then you'll be able to take on most civics. just be safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.