Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know what else to do about these pads (ECS Greenstuff on front with new drilled and slotted rotors.). No matter what I try the pads still squeel something horrible. And its getting worse before it gets better. I have tried bedding them a few times and still they squeel loudly - its embarassing. It has caused me to doubt buying performance pads ever again. I am at the point of taking them off for some oem pads (only been on since May). Should it really be this much effort to have brakes/pads that don't squeel! Man, I am jusr frustrated! :???: :sad: :( :cry:

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Sounds like you did not use Permatex or used very sparingly. I would take the pads off, spray generously with Permatex Blue and re-seat. Should solve the problem. Squeaking is caused by vibration of the pad on the caliper under braking. Permatex will stop the vibration as it is gooey substance that acts as a damper between the pads and the caliper.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
If you are speaking about EBC Green Stuff.
I agree, I have drilled rotors and GreenStuff (on front) and yes they squeel but only when I brake on slow speeds. They are "famous" for squeeling. As far as I heard from people that used them there is nothing to do with it. What they told me is that squeel usualy goes away by itself after 5000-7000 miles :crazy: This is without using any grease or whatever.
You can try what Boris is recommending, worst can't be.

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
Man, I hate telling you this.... Bro, when we first talked about brakes I told you about the downside of using cross-drilled rotors. Now I'll use cross-drilled and slotted rotors on the track, but my team's technicians change and analyze components after every event. Most cross drilled rotors I've seen on the market can influence uneven pad wear which can lead to problems.

The EBC Greenstuff pads use a proven Kevlar blended compound which offers excellent bite but there's a few issues. Unlike pads from PBR/Axxis and Performance Friction, they don't have built-in shims which help with pad vibration. When you install EBC pads, you should prep them!! Many people make the mistake of using the metallic shims which were included with your factory pads. Whenever I install pads including one's with built-in shims, I buy adhesive brake shims to stick on the back of the pads. Also using a good brake squeal or anti-seize compound should be applied to the rear of the pads.

GoldenPassat, here's what I would do.. Check the drill points on your rotors to make sure there's no cracking. Clean the shims of your pads, and install adhesive one's and then retreat with anti-squeal or anti-seize compound. EBC's are great pads, but you have to be prepare them correctly and use quality components. The next time, I would stay away from cross drilled rotors! If you want slotted rotors, use Ate Powerdiscs or Powerslots...

I hope you are able to correct this problem, and you know DC Metro Folks stick together. Give shouts if you need some help man! Maybe you need to ride out to Silver Spring and checkout Ole' Swami..

Peace and blessings..

Will aka The Swami

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nenad, my bad they are EBC Greenstuff pads.

GoldenPassat, here's what I would do.. Check the drill points on your rotors to make sure there's no cracking. Clean the shims of your pads, and install adhesive one's and then retreat with anti-squeal or anti-seize compound. EBC's are great pads, but you have to be prepare them correctly and use quality components. The next time, I would stay away from cross drilled rotors! If you want slotted rotors, use Ate Powerdiscs or Powerslots...

I hope you are able to correct this problem, and you know DC Metro Folks stick together. Give shouts if you need some help man! Maybe you need to ride out to Silver Spring and checkout Ole' Swami..

Peace and blessings..

Will aka The Swami
Well maybe we should hook up to check out this prob of mine. At least u can take a look/listen. If u have time today that will be cool - I am only 15mins away from Silver Spring. I will send u a PM with my cell #. Give me a shout if you can take a quick look.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
I have the same problem with EBC green stuff and Brembo OE plain rotors. So, Boris, Nenad and Swami all agree that the pads are vibrating when brakes are applied.

Nenad is bang on, the squeal is mostly during slower driving, stopping at traffic lights and the like. If I have to brake hard they bite so hard, I am thrown off the seat.

Which adhesive shims and antisqueal do you recommend?

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
YetAnother20V said:
Over 10K miles with the new brake setup Nenad. There is definitely something wrong. The squeak is there. And I am embarrassed.
This is definetly wrong, I am on 4000 miles and now is better than on 2000. Wierd thing is that they were absolutely silent on 0-700 miles.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I would recommend the Permatex blue spray as indicated above. Did the trick for getting rid of my squeal after new brakes. I tried the CRC orange which you spread on and I still had squeaks.

Kev

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
It seems to me that some of us have problems with a pad brand and others do not. I had Mintex and loved them for awhile, but then the "God forsaken squeel". :thumbdow: I then heard about 50% of the other brake pad owners say the samething. I am now running Axxis and love them.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Here's what you need to do.

Buy can of Permatex Disk Brake Quiet. Buy the spray not the one that you have apply with brush.

Take the pads off of the calipers.

Place them contact side down on carton box.

Spray 3 or 4 coats on the back side of the pads. Let dry approx 10 minutes between spraying each coat.

Wait 20 minutes after the last coat. The Permatex will still be sticky that's normal.

Seat the pads in the caliper. The Permatex will glue the pads to the caliper. It will never dry up completely and will keep sticky consistency that will act as damper for the vibrations. No vibrations, no squealing.

One mistake people do is that they do not apply enough Permatex. Make sure you do the 3 - 4 coats and I guarantee you you will not have any squealing.

Permatex Disk Brake Quiet

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
I'll try to help out a fellow DC Metro B5er with this brake issue, but I think GoldenPassat left out a few details when describing the events leading to this problem.

Guys, if you aren't doing the work yourself I can't stress how important it is to use mechanics that truly know VW/Audi's. When I owned my 1st Passat, I learned the hard way that not every gas station or local shop can perform certain tasks on your car. I have a trusted mechanic who worked on my 300ZX racer for years but when I had his shop perform a brake-job on my 2000 Passat, literally all Hell broke loose. I ended up having to drive out to Matt Curry's and paying for a new set of rotors, pads, and labor! :mad:

Hopefully we can get Golden's ride straight, but this is a lesson we all can learn from!

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Thanks guys, I will take it back to the place I had the brakes installed and this time, I will see that they put on 4 coats of the permatex stuff. I take it that I won't need the adhesive shims in addition to this since permatex itself is like sticky glue. Hopefully, this will eliminate the squeal.
Gotta find a reliable indy mechanic in this area. At the local dealership, we can never get through to the mechanics. The service advisor(?) is a dreadful person to deal with.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The Swami said:
I'll try to help out a fellow DC Metro B5er with this brake issue, but I think GoldenPassat left out a few details when describing the events leading to this problem.

Guys, if you aren't doing the work yourself I can't stress how important it is to use mechanics that truly know VW/Audi's. When I owned my 1st Passat, I learned the hard way that not every gas station or local shop can perform certain tasks on your car. I have a trusted mechanic who worked on my 300ZX racer for years but when I had his shop perform a brake-job on my 2000 Passat, literally all Hell broke loose. I ended up having to drive out to Matt Curry's and paying for a new set of rotors, pads, and labor! :mad:

Hopefully we can get Golden's ride straight, but this is a lesson we all can learn from!
Yo Swami,

I'm going to try this Permatex vybe and see what happens. You think your boys at Wheaton SC will be able to do this simple brake job?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.