Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I get in the car to leave my house (I just got done driving the car in the morning so it is warm). I apply the brake and I can't shift out of park! :???: So I pump the brakes 6-10 times and then the light goes off (the brake light on the chrome shift cover) so I can move it out of park. I try it again and the light won't go off this time. So it seems that I have to pump the brakes 5/6 times just to get the light off to shift into gear! :mad:

Has anyone had this happen with there cer before? I checked the brake fluid and all seems alright. Any ideas? I have a 98 1.8T,auto :???:

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Ryan you may want to check to see if your break lights are working, the owners manual claims that the shift lock is electromagnetic so maybe it is triggered by the brakelight switch. So maybe if the brake light switch is hanging up then the shiftlock won't release. Have some one stand outside the car and see if the brake lights are coming on. :thumbup: :b5: 4 life

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
sounds like the locking mechanism in the shifter. i believe there is a manual override somewhere so that you can put the car in gear. I would check manual like said above.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
While at the mini gtg in NH ( :suspicio:) I saw my brake light was out and switch it, seems that the problem is gone now!? :crazy: It seems a little odd that if you have a burnt out tail light it will make you pump the brakes 5-6 times to be able to shift gears! Go figure! :poke:

·
Registered
312 Posts
maybe you blew a fuse? i remember this happend to me when i replaced a tail light bulb, i believe its fuse # 13, that i blew, it could be different for you, i have a 99.

HTH....

steve C.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
5 Participants
Curry
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing