Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Whats a fap?
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I received my H&R sports and front Bilstein sports (rears still on the way).
I was so excited that I couldnt wait any longer for the rears and decided Ill pop the rears in when they get here (they are extremely easy to replace).
So here's what we did; replaced front struts and springs all around, I went over the FWD suspension thread many times so it would go easy, I soaked the bolts for many weeks prior. After assessing the situation I decided to take the less traveled route and remove the struts from the top rather than removing the whole strut plate (and the dreaded pinch bolt).
We had to cut out the strut bolt covers, they are actually glued in place. On the left side the brake lines that are over one of the holes are easily moved to the side after removing the holder from the firewall. Some serious prying went on to remove and then reinstall the struts since we didnt disconnect any suspension arms. The entire job took about one hour from wheels off to wheels on. There was two of us working on the car, my friend who is a great tech and me. We started on Saturday around 4:25pm and finished by 5:20ish.

The ride is not harsh at all, but that is probably contributed by the rear shocks still being stock.

I will post pics of the finished product in the showroom once I take some pics.

·
Mr. Bieber 1st place WaterFest 17
4,625 Posts
Wheres my support?!?!?!? You can hate my muffler, but dont hate my whole Variant. :)
Everyone hasnt paypalled me yet, so give us a week or so, the muffler will be gone, and you will get the respect you deserve ;)

But really, Shoulda done coils! :lol:

We all want pictures!

·
Whats a fap?
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
HEHE, I knew it!!! Pay up people, lets get this going.

I had the most amazing deal on the H&R's that I couldnt pass up.
Pics soon.

·
What time is Matlock on?
17,312 Posts
Well, after having gone through 4 different sets of suspensions, having coils gives you the option of going low or raising, but I totally get the desire to bottom out. H&R sports are a nice drop...good combo as well.....had those before my Vogtlands. IF you ever decide to go lower, get coils....not another set.

·
Moderator/Administrator
25,285 Posts
Well, after having gone through 4 different sets of suspensions, having coils gives you the option of going low or raising, but I totally get the desire to bottom out. H&R sports are a nice drop...good combo as well.....had those before my Vogtlands. IF you ever decide to go lower, get coils....not another set.
x2. Especially for the variant, there are not varying levels of low with springs like you can find for the sedan. I would love to rock oe sports which only drop .75" but it's sedan only. I was dropped 2" on neuspeeds and could not keep it due to my commute combined with my dukes of hazzard driving style. Coils will be my next purchase, suspension wise.

·
Whats a fap?
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would love to go lowar, but I use the car daily so I want the piece of mind that I cannot adjust these to go any lower, lol. Pics going up in showroom.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
you should adjust your control arms when you change stock suspension geometry, they no longer rest in a neutral position. They wear out a lot quicker, then you're going to have to do the whole job over again plus some extra's. All four arms should be loosened at the bolts connecting them to the car, and re tightened while sitting where they are in a neutral position at your new ride height.

·
Whats a fap?
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
you should adjust your control arms when you change stock suspension geometry, they no longer rest in a neutral position. They wear out a lot quicker, then you're going to have to do the whole job over again plus some extra's. All four arms should be loosened at the bolts connecting them to the car, and re tightened while sitting where they are in a neutral position at your new ride height.
Yea I read about that, but Im just too lazy to do all that. :D

·
I had a steering knuckle in my shed. Really!
4,159 Posts
Is it feasible to change out the shocks and springs as you have in the driveway, or would it have to be done on a lift? I too am dreading the pinch bolt after 12 years of NY winters and road salt for my car.

·
Whats a fap?
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I did it on a lift, some operations I have performed would be impossible on the ground i.e. prybar against the frame, hanging off the hub to pull down, hehe. For the most part I guess you can do it on the ground, but also keep in mind if you have pinch bolt woes you probably should not do it on the ground, or yourself even, unless you have an air chissel and airhammer at your disposal with nerves of steel.

Note: I did not remove the pinch bolts, I bypassed this step by removing the strut bolts from the top, yes I moved the brake lines and it worked. Whole job took an hour.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts