Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:rolleyes: :Yikes: ok, the story is like this:
every day when i come out to go to work this guy passes by on his jetta.
it happends every morning, his car is realy cold (i could say that because i see alot of veapor coming out of his exaust), it looks like the car is clean and has some work done to it(rims, exaust, tints, some aftermarket lights and most likely some more stuff) but the guy is ripping the living out of it (every morning). i mean i could rip on my car, but not when its cold and not all the times like this, and every morning when i go to work im up but not awake, so im really far from this mood of ripping on my car.

is there any people on this forum who does the same????
please explain why....
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a friend who doesn't seem to realise the red line is optional. Every journey without fail. Cold, hot, whatever. Would be interesting to see the state of his engine. I don't think the oil level is ever checked. Also, coming off of full throttle while changing gear doesn't seem to be necessary.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Maybe he's always late to work. I know I am, otherwise I'd just piddle along at the speed limit until I woke up.
i dont know man, even if you late like crazy, i dont think youll go maxing out 1st and 2nd gear on the strip mabe 300 feet or so, its just pointless cause then youll need to slam your brakes...
dont you agree???/
and this guy just make his car screem like his on the drag strip...:crazy:

·
Registered
300 Posts
i dont know man, even if you late like crazy, i dont think youll go maxing out 1st and 2nd gear on the strip mabe 300 feet or so, its just pointless cause then youll need to slam your brakes...
dont you agree???/
and this guy just make his car screem like his on the drag strip...:crazy:
Maybe he's late to work and stupid. :p
Probably just the latter though.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
or maybe he pre-heats his car like I do EVERYTIME? meaning I let it idle for 5 minutes or so before going anywhere in the morning.

·
Registered
19 Posts
or maybe he pre-heats his car like I do EVERYTIME? meaning I let it idle for 5 minutes or so before going anywhere in the morning.
That's bad for it too. To warm an engine properly just drive gently after letting it tick over for 30 seconds to get oil pressure up.

Plus you're not heating up the transmission, tyres, brakes...

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's bad for it too. To warm an engine properly just drive gently after letting it tick over for 30 seconds to get oil pressure up.

i think maybe a couple of munites instead of 30 sec... would be much better...

·
Registered
300 Posts

Why is it bad to let it warm up in the morning? I do that too.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Taken from http://www.carbibles.com/engineoil_bible.html

large quantities of water are produced by the normal combustion process and, depending on engine wear, some of it gets into the crank case. If you have a good crank case breathing system it gets removed from there PDQ, but even so, in cold weather a lot of condensation will take place. Water dissolves any nitrates formed during the combustion process. If my memory of chemistry serves me right, that leaves you with a mixture of Nitric (HNO3) and Nitrous (HNO2) acid circulating round your engine

Your engine takes a lot longer to warm up when it's just sat there ticking over. The best way to do it is drive gently for the first 6 or so miles.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
for a modified car, i'd say wait until the oil pressure is close to the normal operating pressure before you go WOT. for normal driving on a stock car, 30 sec is fine.
when my car was stock i used to warm it up to normal operating temp all the times, now as i have stand alone.. hehe i have to warm it up to normal temp, otherwise it stols...

·
Banned
8,975 Posts
Why is it bad to let it warm up in the morning? I do that too.
False sense of security. The engine is well-lubed, but on a cold morning the CV joints, differential, and most of the transmission are still freezing cold. You'll actually wear them out faster because the engine feels like it's ready to run.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
i turn the car on in the mourhing let the car idle, once it drops down to about 800**** rpm i take off... i drive easy untell its normal temp... i belive this is the best way.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I am sure he/she means 800 RPM

1 - 20 of 33 Posts