Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks!

I chipped my 2001 wagon a few years ago with APR 1.0 chip and am very happy with the results. I recently found this website and am wondering if/why I should swap out my stock DV with a Forge or Bailey??????

Will it make a difference? Or is it simply a better valve that holds up better under the increased boost? My stock valve seems to be holding up well, but I'm not sure how one would know or not? Boost is there and the motor pulls hard all the time.

Thanks for any advice or responses in advance! THis site is great!

stereocraig

·
Registered
716 Posts
A replacement will stand up better to increased boost. Lots of people replace to avoid problems before they actually arise. Many of us use the heavier Audi TT valve (about $45) rather than going to cost of a Forge or Bailey.

Good luck

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
can i do the DV replacement myself????

How difficult would it be to change the DV valve myself? I tried to search this site for help on changing the DV but didn't come up with anything yet.

Any advice???

Should I buy the part and take it to my local/yocal import car mechanic who I work with?????

Thanks!!!!!

stereocraig

·
Registered
716 Posts
The DV is an easy DIY. As Scuba said, put it on ramps, drop the belly pan, the DV is right down there front and center. Make sure you have clamps for new DV, you'll probably need to cut the old ones the get them off.

Do another search, there are good directions I found somewhere, not recall if on our info forum or a member's site... I could also e-mail you what I used if you want to share your address

Good luck

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Just an opinion...

I've had my 2003 APR DPP 93 octane for about 14,000 miles (car has 19,xxx total) and no problems. I spike about 20 psi and hold 16-17 psi untill at least 5,000. If it does go, I'll be getting the Audi TT valve. ECS has them for $27 and everybody that has them says they've held up fine.

http://www.ecstuning.com/stage/edpd...&model=Passat B5&submodel=FWD&category=Engine

I'll wait till mine goes out (if it does). Just my opinion/experience.

By the way, I had heard rumors of the newer passats (or perhaps a change in the B5.5) already having the TT valve but according to this site

http://dv.mistertam.com/12.htm

the jettas and golfs got them but we didn't. Anybody care to cloudy the water some more? By the way, take a look at the testing and conclusion/recomendations on the last link as well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.