Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
noticed that it is above the max line, though not by much. I read in a few posts that this is not a good thing. My question is, could this have anything to do with my CEL blinking for a minute and going solid also should I drain the oil and start over? Speaking of oil, I change my every 5000 miles like the book states, should I do it more often and right now I am using a non-synthetic oil, is there anything I have to do to start using synthetic? My buddy said I should run a blend next and then go to full synthetic. I have a 2000 B5 with 1.8T, 62000 miles, also I have no mods and I am the second owner of this vehicle.

·
Registered
5,335 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the oil level being a hair over max. You can go from Dino to Full-synth at any time. Don't bother with a synth blend, as the blends have very little actual synth in them.

On another note, a blinking CEL, means VAG-COM or dealer trip ASAP. It probably doesn't have anything to do with your oil being a tiny bit over.

SirWired

·
Registered
25,996 Posts
Get the codes checked and get the timing belt done. You are out of warranty.
Go ahead and switch to synthetic,there are too many reports of oil pressure
problems.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have been to AutoZone a couple times, but the "P" codes are so generic I am building a Vag-Com this weekend so hopefully I will be gold by wednesday when the AutoTap cable comes in. I think since I have done so much to the car I will go and have AutoZone check the codes again. I have cleaned the MAF, new Fuel Filter, Air Filter, Vacum Hoses, and cleaning here and there. The car runs great except when it is cold and hits 1100 RPMs. All I really know right now is that I am getting really frustrated with this.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
6 Participants
JDeer0618
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing