Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thank god I did not put anything major in the subaru... lol... only 4 shocks...
and it still ride like ****... sighhhhh... taking all audio off, and returning to stock....

I will be looking at the V6, what do I have to be aware of?

·
I'm just itching to be Banned
13,905 Posts
Thank god I did not put anything major in the subaru... lol... only 4 shocks...
and it still ride like ****... sighhhhh... taking all audio off, and returning to stock....

I will be looking at the V6, what do I have to be aware of?
Which subaru?

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
02 2.5rs sedan. I am not even kidding this time... the trade is going to happen really soon..... I would never get a Subaru again.....

·
Moderator/Administrator
25,288 Posts
The $2500 tb job is what I'd look out for. No joke. Those 3.0L are a pain from what I hear about that. At least from what I've read on Audiforums and the 'zine.

·
Rollin in the LAV
1,760 Posts
02 2.5rs sedan. I am not even kidding this time... the trade is going to happen really soon..... I would never get a Subaru again.....
Sorry to hear your Subi didn't work out.

A few suggestions, though, without knowing all of the details...

It sounds like your suspension wasn't dialed in correctly. What springs/shocks were you using? Any other suspension mods? If you're using shocks that don't match the performance of the springs, of course the ride will suck.

For the "sh***y" interior, I suggest using some RAAMmat and ensolite to reduce vibrations and road noise. If you don't like the seats, spend $300 for some newer WRX seats.

I missed my Passat at first, but I'd never go back to a VAG car...ever.

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
Sorry to hear your Subi didn't work out.

A few suggestions, though, without knowing all of the details...

It sounds like your suspension wasn't dialed in correctly. What springs/shocks were you using? Any other suspension mods? If you're using shocks that don't match the performance of the springs, of course the ride will suck.

For the "sh***y" interior, I suggest using some RAAMmat and ensolite to reduce vibrations and road noise. If you don't like the seats, spend $300 for some newer WRX seats.

I missed my Passat at first, but I'd never go back to a VAG car...ever.
Me either! My local vw dealership is teh suck and I just don't miss the hassle, I love the living hell out of my Subaru!

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
The $2500 tb job is what I'd look out for. No joke. Those 3.0L are a pain from what I hear about that. At least from what I've read on Audiforums and the 'zine.
Shouldn't be any more difficult than doing a TB on the 2.8L B5. The parts are all the same (for the most part). I am doing the full TB and gasket job on my B6 3.0l in January. Should be TONS of fun! :crazy:

It's no $2,500 job though... The parts shouldn't cost more than $400 WITH waterpump. Tool rental is $45. Yeah it will take 12 hours... but hey.:wrench: $2,055/12 = $171.25 per hour! I pay myself well. If it takes 18 hours (like my first TB on the 2.8 did) $114.25 per hour! I'm still in the money.

·
Moderator/Administrator
25,288 Posts
Shouldn't be any more difficult than doing a TB on the 2.8L B5. The parts are all the same (for the most part). I am doing the full TB and gasket job on my B6 3.0l in January. Should be TONS of fun! :crazy:

It's no $2,500 job though... The parts shouldn't cost more than $400 WITH waterpump. Tool rental is $45. Yeah it will take 12 hours... but hey.:wrench: $2,055/12 = $171.25 per hour! I pay myself well. If it takes 18 hours (like my first TB on the 2.8 did) $114.25 per hour! I'm still in the money.
I'm not kidding. It is not like the 2.8 from what I'm told. I'm talking about a dealer quote tho. People on there were talking about it casually, like it was normal.....

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
I'm not kidding. It is not like the 2.8 from what I'm told.
I don't buy it... I looked at it and the clip is blocking the front of the motor. The parts in the kit are indentical. There is no reason it should cost that much money. The parts are $400 to do gaskets too. If they charge $800 for parts and charge $85 per hour for labor it means they take 20 hours to do the work. There is no way. So $1,600 for parts? Still leaves 11 hours labor... No way... I don't buy it.

·
Registered
9,106 Posts
Did the Audi dealer pretend not to speak English when confronted about the price? "Is price for Audi, no VW. No VW. VW different, less difficult. You pay Audi price or you leave!"

That's how I see it going down in my head ;) You should be able to find a VW/Audi indy mechanic who knows their way around enough to do the job for half that much.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts