Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just got back from driving this:

yes yes, i know it looks plain, and worst of all it wears a pontiac badge -- but don't let that fool you, its actually a holden, and thats from australia, so this is actually an import.

for a while now this has been hands down my favorate car, and it will be my next, no question about it. i've driven a few of them before, but always with a salesman that only lets you take it around the block once. but luckily jordan motors here in ames recently took this in on a trade, and jordan is fantastic with service and lets you test cars alone. i was finally able to drive the car the way i like, and on a variety of different roads.

i know a lot of people really dont like this car because they say it looks too much like the old grand prix and doesn't have retro styling. but my god does it drive well! with this being an 04, it was eqipped with the LS1 V8 with 350hp and it was very quick off the line, espacilly for this large of a car. this is a true back to basics muscle car, there are no electronic stability systems in place or active suspenion...none of that, just a simple traction control system that has two settings --- on and off. but of course, me and the rest of us here being VW enthusiasts we like our tight handling, and i can honestly tell you that this muscle car doesn't handle like a mustang or a camero. it handles just as good - if not better, than many european cars i've driven. i took it up on my favoate switchbacks on North Dakota, threw it into a corner at 70 mph and the chassis just sorted it all out, it was supurb! to add to the fun, this car is so incredibly easy at the limit -- it wants to go sideways around corners, but it doesnt at all frighten you and its easy to control. to put icing on the cake, its comfortable and quiet on the highway, and it friggen gets 29 mpg. what more can you ask?

i could go on and on about this thing, and above all, with these GTOs it is impossible to go faster for less. $19,995 for this example with only 32k on the clock --- thats cheaper than a new GTI. and if you opt for a 05 or 06 model with the bigger LS2 with over 400hp, about 25 grand right now.

if i didn't owe anything on the ol' mastercard...this car would be parked in my garage tonight.

·
Grinding Gears...gone fishing!
22,610 Posts
if Mad Max was filmed now, id bet that would be the car in the movie.
bad ass piece of machinery.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well the good thing is the looks can be easily changed. here is what it looks like in its original Holden clothing...

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
i just got back from driving this:

yes yes, i know it looks plain, and worst of all it wears a pontiac badge -- but don't let that fool you, its actually a holden, and thats from australia, so this is actually an import.

for a while now this has been hands down my favorate car, and it will be my next, no question about it. i've driven a few of them before, but always with a salesman that only lets you take it around the block once. but luckily jordan motors here in ames recently took this in on a trade, and jordan is fantastic with service and lets you test cars alone. i was finally able to drive the car the way i like, and on a variety of different roads.

i know a lot of people really dont like this car because they say it looks too much like the old grand prix and doesn't have retro styling. but my god does it drive well! with this being an 04, it was eqipped with the LS1 V8 with 350hp and it was very quick off the line, espacilly for this large of a car. this is a true back to basics muscle car, there are no electronic stability systems in place or active suspenion...none of that, just a simple traction control system that has two settings --- on and off. but of course, me and the rest of us here being VW enthusiasts we like our tight handling, and i can honestly tell you that this muscle car doesn't handle like a mustang or a camero. it handles just as good - if not better, than many european cars i've driven. i took it up on my favoate switchbacks on North Dakota, threw it into a corner at 70 mph and the chassis just sorted it all out, it was supurb! to add to the fun, this car is so incredibly easy at the limit -- it wants to go sideways around corners, but it doesnt at all frighten you and its easy to control. to put icing on the cake, its comfortable and quiet on the highway, and it friggen gets 29 mpg. what more can you ask?

i could go on and on about this thing, and above all, with these GTOs it is impossible to go faster for less. $19,995 for this example with only 32k on the clock --- thats cheaper than a new GTI. and if you opt for a 05 or 06 model with the bigger LS2 with over 400hp, about 25 grand right now.

if i didn't owe anything on the ol' mastercard...this car would be parked in my garage tonight.

I almost bought one too this year. They had 2006's for dirt cheap. I drove it, alone, and walked away impressed as hell. I thought about it long and hard but ultimately decided to buy something much more practical for a daily driver (Outback XT LTD) and then I also bought a Z32 (93 300zx) to sit in my garage during the winters and for fun summer driving.

Anyway, I think the car looks fine on the outside (to me) and the interior is very well done, great stereo, great ergonomics, very well thought out and executed. I think the badge snobs detest the Pontiac logo and the American or nothing snobs detest the Austrailian bloodlines.

If I lived for a thousand years I would NEVER understand why car enthuasists, true car guys (and gals) do not embrace this car. To me, it's everything I love about a car. A lot of power, great handling, very good interior design, excellent price, outstanding motor, nice clutch feel and on and on.

Ah well, doesn't matter, I'm sure I'll buy one years from now and have it sitting in my garage. Make mine a 2006, don't care about the color I just want the non-chrome rims, I think the chrome rims look tacky, otherwise I love everything else about it. :thumbup:

·
I'm Urlik's Hero
9,783 Posts
It's quite nice in it's Vauxhall guise too - I'd not say no.

Vauxhall Monaro VXR 500 - s/c V8, 500bhp and only £35k
seems I can't link pictures to PistonHeads - oops

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
If I lived for a thousand years I would NEVER understand why car enthuasists, true car guys (and gals) do not embrace this car. To me, it's everything I love about a car. A lot of power, great handling, very good interior design, excellent price, outstanding motor, nice clutch feel and on and on.

Ah well, doesn't matter, I'm sure I'll buy one years from now and have it sitting in my garage. Make mine a 2006, don't care about the color I just want the non-chrome rims, I think the chrome rims look tacky, otherwise I love everything else about it. :thumbup:
While i dont think the GTO is such a bad car, i think its fair to say its not a car for all enthusiasts. its a fairly large car, with a heavier curb wieght, longer wheelbase, and a softer suspension (at least compared to the holden counterpart). I'll agree it has a great engine though thats plenty powerful in its own right and easy to get more power out of. Its really more of a powerful touring car.

There's also a lot of great cars out there for about the same $. Even Pontiac's own soltice turbo would be more appealing imo. personally i got an sti instead. i respect the GTO, but didnt really consider it. for me it was between an evo and an sti. i could also totally understand if another enthusiast didnt care for an sti. i dont think any car out there is a perfect compromise.

·
Carlos Spicyweiner
7,048 Posts
Didn't some one on the board pick up a 2006 in Orange?
thericharris......he talked and talked about it then followed through with it. I think he got pissed at us and left though. This dude loves GTOs.

Originally Posted by Sullie View Post
I thought about it. There's no denying it's a bad ass performance car for the money. My problem? I just couldn't bring myself to spend $30K + for something that looks like a Grand Am. I turn around and look at my '06 S-line A4 everytime I get out of it. I can live with less power, but I gained looks, comfort, fuel mileage and AWD for the same payment.

In other words, I think GM blew it with the styling. If I feel like smoking tires I take out my Impala SS for an hour and then appreciate my Audi even more.

I would like to get one of these in a few years as a project car though. It's hard to argue with the capability of the GTO, I just wasn't ready to spend the money on a new one.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Get a 2005 with the LS2. I've seen very low mileage ones go for $21K. I've seen some 2004's with less than 20k miles go for under $18K. Check out ls2gto.com's classifieds.

I have a 2006 A4 and love it. Already starting the mods. If you are serious about getting one, the only and best GTO community is http://ls2gto.com.

Here's my baby:

And yes, I rarely come here. This place is not near as fun as ls2gto.com.... way more "loose" over there. This place is about being more Euro and the GTO guys are about getting into the 11's on all motor. At least over there you can see hot avitars, use sigs, get email notifications and actually get a car of the month updated monthly :D

BTW, please stop tempting me to convert my car to the VZ Monaro. You can get the front bumper peice for $1050 right now.

Come to the darkside my child..... life is too short to be driving a slow car. It's also fun to drive a rare car, one you see only once a week. 40,000 GTOs were produced during 2004-2006 (15K for '04, 10K for '05, and 15K for '06).

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
and they STILL had leftovers.....:whistle:
Yep, which means if you can wait it out, you can get a 2006 pretty cheap. There are 3500 2006s still on dealer lots. On average, they are selling 700 a month. So I'd expect them gone before summer. People are getting them around $27K right now (plus tax).

Most people don't even know about the GTO. I get people asking me all the time what my car is, and they usually say "I never knew they brought back the GTO". GM's marketing FTL!

It's a special car for sure. Two doors, very small trunk, rear wheel drive, 400hp, and not so great gas mileage. Your average joe would rather get a G35/Mustang/350z, since it's the "cool thing to drive". I guess most GTO owners like to drive something different.

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
My point was that even with the VERY small production numbers GM can't sell them. They're not rare because of the production. They're rare for other reasons. ;)

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I almost bought one too this year. They had 2006's for dirt cheap. I drove it, alone, and walked away impressed as hell. I thought about it long and hard but ultimately decided to buy something much more practical for a daily driver (Outback XT LTD) and then I also bought a Z32 (93 300zx) to sit in my garage during the winters and for fun summer driving.

Anyway, I think the car looks fine on the outside (to me) and the interior is very well done, great stereo, great ergonomics, very well thought out and executed. I think the badge snobs detest the Pontiac logo and the American or nothing snobs detest the Austrailian bloodlines.

the people that bash it now won't miss it untill its gone -- usually its those that never drive one that are negative about the car. i rarely find many people that are still negative about it after they drive one.

Get a 2005 with the LS2. I've seen very low mileage ones go for $21K. I've seen some 2004's with less than 20k miles go for under $18K. Check out ls2gto.com's classifieds.

I have a 2006 A4 and love it. Already starting the mods. If you are serious about getting one, the only and best GTO community is http://ls2gto.com.

Here's my baby:

And yes, I rarely come here. This place is not near as fun as ls2gto.com.... way more "loose" over there. This place is about being more Euro and the GTO guys are about getting into the 11's on all motor. At least over there you can see hot avitars, use sigs, get email notifications and actually get a car of the month updated monthly :D

BTW, please stop tempting me to convert my car to the VZ Monaro. You can get the front bumper peice for $1050 right now.

Come to the darkside my child..... life is too short to be driving a slow car. It's also fun to drive a rare car, one you see only once a week. 40,000 GTOs were produced during 2004-2006 (15K for '04, 10K for '05, and 15K for '06).
you should convert your GTO imo...but not VZ monro, do the HSV trip. its a bit more expensive with the extra peices and headlights, but the results would be impressive. i have yet to see anyone here in the states that has done it, excpet one guy with just the bumper.

i'm also on those boards btw, i check in from time to time to keep up with other owners. i'll definetly have one with in 12 months, no questions.

My point was that even with the VERY small production numbers GM can't sell them. They're not rare because of the production. They're rare for other reasons. ;)
they're rare because of production, GM's holden plant couldn't produce anymore than that...keep in mind it was also sold in the middle east and also the UK. slow sales can be explained easily, gm didn't advertise it hardely at all, never offered any incentives, and they did drop the ball on the styling. it should have been left alone in its original HSV trim.

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
and they did drop the ball on the styling.
which would be one of those "other things" I was talking about. it's an ugly car, no bones about it. it's a GREAT car. hell we use them as U-2 chase cars, but it's butt ass ugly. I don't care how good a car it is if it looks like that.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts