Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello :salute:

So I am looking at finally buying my first Passat W8. Wanted this car since I was 14 but alas I didn't have my licence (or the money) and couldn't persuade my parents to part with AUD $100K to buy a Passat, since they were happy with their B5 2.8 V6 Tiptronic.

Anyway the opportunity has arisen and I was hoping there are some experts on the matter in this forum to guide me.

THE CAR

2004 Passat W8 Sedan with Tiptronic transmission.

Has done 183,000 km (or 113,710 miles).

Original owner (an older gentleman is his 60s)

Full service history available and serviced by a VW dealership.

He's had the car for 13 years and is finally getting rid of it after upgrading to an Audi S5.

So my questions are......

* Assuming the above is true and the car has always been serviced regularly and looked after, is the Passat W8 a reliable car?

* If the car is driven normally with smooth accelerating, is it achievable to get 22 to 25mpg (or 13L/100km to 11.5L/100km)?

If any W8 owners have some tips for me to ask the seller or things I should consider please fire away.

Cheers guys IMG_2980.jpg IMG_2981.jpg IMG_2983.jpg IMG_2984.jpg

·
Registered
12,063 Posts
The W8 is rather notorious as an unreliable car; you can find many details by searching here. The biggest problems are the cam chain tensioners, which freeze or stick; and the transmission torque converter, which fails because it's inadequate to deal with the engine's power. Either of these issues, which are more likely than not to crop up, can run into the $4,000 range to fix. A runner-up might be the complex and troublesome fuel tank/pump/gauge system.

Further, since the engine is so tightly packed into the car, many, if not most repairs require the engine be removed. Bad thermostat? Engine needs to come out. (and also pay $500 for the special W8 thermostat). Don't get me wrong, I spent quite some time in one that a friend owned, and it's a blast to drive; but she was paying the bills. Eventually she got rid of it (despite being quite wealthy) because she "felt stupid paying so much to repair a Volkswagen."

If you can afford to have a W8, I don't think a few MPG either way is an issue.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I would suggest against it. And the reason is simple-with such age, mileage even if everything have been taken care of, it is still old very complex car as Scotts13 noted. The only way I would say go for it if it is car of your DREAMS and you are wealthy to not care about bills associated with it, which I feel is not the case. OR if he give it to you for free or almost free. Experience with your parents' 2.8 V6 may be WAY different from this beast.

Best of luck with your choice!

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
I like the idea of the power they have but after owning my 01 V6 for less a year and now own a 04 V6 for over a year and doing all wrench turning. I would never want to own the W8.

As mentioned it is very expensive to maintain if you don't turn your own wrenches. If you do it is very time consuming. If it were given to me I would drive it and do basic things but the 1st issue that required to motor to be removed and I'd get rid of it.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
I have a 1.8T and a 12-valve 2.8. I would not consider buying either a 2.7T or a W8.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm a decent mechanic, have a 1.8t, and could not fathom the loss of free time devoted to maintaining that car. Plus the steering wheel is on the wrong side, lol. But seriously that may put you at odds with available wiring diagrams, hydraulic system parts, etc.

But they are astonishing. I can't imagine how rare one is. We can't even find a 2014-2016 CC here with a V-6. I suspect W-8 survivors are a rarity in any country.

·
Registered
46 Posts
1. NO
2. NO

I've owned a W8. Absolutely loved the acceleration and power. However, it seemed like nearly every repair was at least $1000. Most repairs are made easier by pulling the motor. Don't let folks here fool you, you can do some stuff with the engine in place, however, just pull the danged motor. The PO had done the cam chain tensioners. However, I had to do the thermostat; which ran about $1500 bucks due to nearly $800 in parts and another 5-600 in labor. When the torque converter started its mess (they all have the exact same failure mode don't kid yourself and think "i'll get a good one") I sold it and bought a wagon V6 and never looked back. The only thing i regret is not getting the wheels off the W8 as I really liked how they set the car off. Otherwise, no regrets here.

If you buy it, understand that at some point it's going to need at least $8-10K USD in repairs on the can chain tensioners, torque converter and thermostat. Even if it's "already been done" the parts used to replace the original ones that failed weren't superior, just replacements. If it failed at 80K, then it'll probably fail in another 80K.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
All of the above are correct. If you want one that bad get one with a six speed manual. Less expensive to fix one of these drivetrains should an issue arise. There's 4 of them for sale right now in various places around the US for not too much $$.
They're not always available, but they do crop up every now and then.
It all depends on what you are willing to put yourself through. I would say this though, if you don't turn your own wrenches, the cost of labor factor would be enough to turn me away.
I own a 2003 W8 6 speed manual, and the fact that I have some body work to do is actually bothering me more than anything that could be or go wrong mechanically. But that's just me and my own weirdness.

·
Registered
26,187 Posts
Adelaide is half a world away, so I expect they are rarer still down there.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
lol not the advice I would have liked but nonetheless kind of expected. Call me crazy but I am still somewhat un-put-off. I was reading on the Passat W8 page on Facebook that if a W8 has done over a 100,000 miles with little problems then it's likely that the buyer got themselves a good one, and I briefly queried the owner and he said nothing has come up before with the torque converter, cam adjusters or thermostat. He has sent me all the service records and there are a few things on there that I may use to barter the price down. If I can get it for a good deal I'll probably take it and save my pennies for the parts that need replacing should they pop up, like a $500 thermostat :crazy:.

I just love this car because it's such a sleeper car and I love sleepers. It's either this or wait around for a good R36 to pop up.

What price do you guys think I should go in at? Advertised for around AUD$7,900 but I'm thinking AUD$6,800 as service records show that the sunroof leaked earlier this year and the carpets got soaked overnight when it rained, plus I can't see on the service records the thermostat being replaced so that's a cool $1,000 of bills to me there.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Adelaide is half a world away, so I expect they are rarer still down there.

Yep! I have never seen one. I think there are two that I know of in Adelaide but in the 14 years since this car was sold in Australia, I have never seen one on the road. Except for maybe once when I was walking through the city and heard a car take off at the lights behind me, sounded like a V8 and I turned around expecting to see a Holden V8 but from the distance I was at, I made it out to be a B5.5 Passat and straight away thought that has to be a W8.

The one I am looking at is in Melbourne.

·
Registered
450 Posts
You're right. It is a sleeper. De-badge it if you really want to fool other drivers. They'll think it's a Jetta. Two thoughts though. A significant difference with the W8 is that it is chain driven, unlike the belt driven V6 you are familiar with. Some chain driven engines from Audi have suffered from stretched chains. I suspect that would be a serious repair bill. My other thought is what the W8 would drive like with Tiptronic. I've driven the V6/Tip combination for sometime and have concluded that it (meaning the gear/final drive ratios) are a poor match for the V6 if you enjoy spirited driving. (2 is too short, 5 is too short, that leaves 3 & 4, the V6 only comes alive above 4K rpm where you have about 140hp) The Tip may be configured differently for the W8 (I see no evidence for that in Bentley), and the W8 has that long, flat torque curve from about 2.5k rpm, and of course you would be driving d'nunder.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
26,187 Posts
I would be tempted by a nice 6sp W8 wagon if the color was right.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I would be tempted by a nice 6sp W8 wagon if the color was right.
It's an Auto mate, don't think any of the W8s in Australia were Manual.

So I'm gonna offer USD$5,100 for the W8 given it's mileage and the fact that work on this car isn't cheap and the service records show a sunroof leak at some point wet the inside of the car (see above) and there may be a leaky transmission.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Keep us informed.

Don't get me wrong, the W8 is an excellent platform. I absolutely loved mine and loved roasting v8 camaro's and mustangs. Just start saving for the repairs. They will be large bills. do invest in some good tools. learn how to put the car in carrier lock position so you can work on the damned thing.

Enjoy the hell out of it. Aside from a few external, but costly, issues, I don't recall hearing a lot of issues with the actual internals of the motors. Beat on it!

I'd absolutely love to have my old W8 back, throw it in this spare F100 chassis i've got lying around with a 6sp manual and a set of turbos...Talk about sleeper!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello :salute:

So I am looking at finally buying my first Passat W8. Wanted this car since I was 14 but alas I didn't have my licence (or the money) and couldn't persuade my parents to part with AUD $100K to buy a Passat, since they were happy with their B5 2.8 V6 Tiptronic.

Anyway the opportunity has arisen and I was hoping there are some experts on the matter in this forum to guide me.

THE CAR

2004 Passat W8 Sedan with Tiptronic transmission.

Has done 183,000 km (or 113,710 miles).

Original owner (an older gentleman is his 60s)

Full service history available and serviced by a VW dealership.

He's had the car for 13 years and is finally getting rid of it after upgrading to an Audi S5.

So my questions are......

* Assuming the above is true and the car has always been serviced regularly and looked after, is the Passat W8 a reliable car?

* If the car is driven normally with smooth accelerating, is it achievable to get 22 to 25mpg (or 13L/100km to 11.5L/100km)?

If any W8 owners have some tips for me to ask the seller or things I should consider please fire away.

Cheers guys View attachment 82057 View attachment 82065 View attachment 82073 View attachment 82081
In reply to question 1:
The W8 is the only Volkswagen ever which left me on the side of the road. A brake line snapped due to improper installation. The car costs an astronomical ammount of money to run
All maintentance factors considered excluding tires and brakes, the cost of operating the car adds up to $1 per mile.
To answer your question about economy
With stick shift, driven normally, shifting at 3250 rpm, the car gets 18.9mpg. The chassis aerodynamics have been enhanced and the intake filter is high-performance. The exhaust is deleted cat-back.
I will never sell the car

1 - 20 of 27 Posts