Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have an 04 TDi that I converted to 5spd two years ago. Everything went great for about a year until I somehow broke the transmission. I pulled it and after a few months found a shop that said they could fix it. After a few more months they said they couldn’t and after another month or two I finally got my hands on another transmission. Got it put in the car. I removed the slave without disconnecting the line and attempted to reinstall without disconnecting as well. After a small battle I finally opened the bleed screw to release some pressure and was able to install. Got everything buttoned back up and am struggling to bleed the the slave again. When I first did the swap I was able to bleed it in no time and with no issues. Something that is puzzling me is that no matter how much I pump and hold when I open the bleed valve there isn’t near the amount of pressure I remember there being. Before it would shoot with some pretty good force now it’s just lazily coming out.
After having these issues I removed the slave and disconnected the line and inspected under the rubber boot. I don’t see any fluid leaking and did a bench bleed and reinstalled and am still getting no pedal feel or pressure.
Any gurus out there that can give me any advice.

Cliff notes: Car sat a year. Can’t get the clutch bled. Slave seems fine. What is the part the pedal depresses on the firewall called?

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
The thing on the firewall is called the clutch master cylinder.
Three things that I can think of right away,

1) did you cut off the end of the plastic nipple on the brake master cylinder feeding the clutch?
2) the hydraulic line going from the firewall to the slave cylinder might be kinked or bent. It is a rigid metal tube.
3) the other which is exactly the same symptom I had, car sat for a few years, and when I put 'new' fluid to charge the hydraulic system, the master cylinder pressure seal swelled up and cut off the supply of oil to the slave cylinder.
A new clutch master cylinder fixed my problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you! I hear people reference the master cylinder but assume they are referring to the brake master cylinder, so I wasn’t sure. Yes the nipple was removed and I used the car for about a year before the first transmission broke. I will check the line for a kink, it is definitely possible it was bent during the removal and installation process. I was skeptical of the master cylinder when I installed it. The operation didn’t seem smooth but it worked so I didn’t want to jinx it. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
26,096 Posts
Did you raise the back of the car higher than the front? It needs to be to bleed the clutch properly. A power bleeder might work better if you have access to one.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts