Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Loose female member
4,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just thought I would run this by you guys and see what you all think.
Whilst driving to the Golf course today I passed a large white truck, nothing unusual there but on the sides were huge 25 x 12 ft color pictures of aborted fetuses.
Along with this was some sort of antiabortion message/website.
Now, i'm pretty much against using abortion as a means of contraception.
The only possible reason I could think of going through this would be if the mothers life was indanger.
Yes I'm a christian, but I do not want to get into a religion/choice argument.
What gets me is the way the message was put over. Do we really need to see these sort of images as we are going about our daily buisness?
I was appaled and sickened. I wish I could do something to stop these images being displayed in my city.
Sorry for ranting, it's just pissed me off.

·
Lisa Simpson
15,043 Posts
I think that's the reaction the anti-choice movement is going for. I say anti-choice, because like nearly every other human alive, I wish that there was no need for abortions. However, as long as there is a need, they damn well better be safe and legal to get. I don't know whose minds they think those pictures will change. The only thing they do for me is to turn me further against the anti-choice crowd.

Most cities have ordinances about what can be displayed within the city limits. Not sure about a truck driving through, no idea how they would regulate that.

·
Super Moderator
14,046 Posts
I'll agree it seems to help the pro-aborted fetus' folks more than the "fetus' have rights" folks. I figured since we're redefining things away from the media "norm", that I'd make some up. :weirdo: .

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
That's like PETA "liberating" minks only to be eaten en masse by predators. :crazy: Must be some "smart" people coming up with these campaigns.

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
Yeah that seems a bit grotesque. Shouldn't the FCC do something about that? Oh yeah censorship only happens when the censors don't like the message. :poke:

(yes I realize that billboards on a truck don't fall under FCC jurisdiction, thanks for the snide comments before they come. I was joking)

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
oh dude, i'm glad you brought this up, i forgot all about this. i was headed to work and sitting at a red light at a major 4-way intersecton, drinking my coffe i looked up and at every corner was some shithead holding pictures of a post abortion (looked like it went through the vacuum cleaner) fetus. what the ****!!!! who needs to see this ever, nevermind at 6:45 am. it should be legal to make those assholes faces look like the pictures they were holding. what makes it worse is one of them was a little kid, 10 years old if that. whos parents would expose a young child to such vile, disturbing, pictures. i personally dont agree with abortion, but i'm not a girl and have never been in a situation where i'd have to consider it so i dont think it is my choice to make, but i hope those people go to hell, even if they are god following citizens, which they probably were some sort of religous fanatics. child molestation and murder didnt become illegal by posting obscene pictures of old guys humping little kids on the top of a taxi cab sign, why would these people even consider doing something like that. shitheads :mad: ruined my friggin day.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
atomicalex said:
I think that's the reaction the anti-choice movement is going for. I say anti-choice, because like nearly every other human alive, I wish that there was no need for abortions. However, as long as there is a need, they damn well better be safe and legal to get. I don't know whose minds they think those pictures will change. The only thing they do for me is to turn me further against the anti-choice crowd.

Most cities have ordinances about what can be displayed within the city limits. Not sure about a truck driving through, no idea how they would regulate that.
I think like others they are going for shock value, thats obviouse. They want to you be apalled, and sickened. they want you to see what a horrible thing abortion is.

I am not saying I agree with that form of "marketing" if you want to call it that, just stating why I believe it happens.

And as far as anti-choice, Im sure they could consider you anti-life.

I would also ask, what defines a "need"?

I would say a need to me, would be in the case that the mothers life would be put in jeporady by having the child, rape or incest.

Other then that, most other reasons seem to be more of a "convience" then a "need".

-Nick

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
I just found out that you could actuall get an abortion even until the actual giving of birth. Can someone verify this for me. I heard that there was never really a law that states that you can only have abortion up to first/second trimester. Heck, I don't even think there is a law to Allow abortions. it was just a ruling in the supreme court.

Please help with my lack of information :oops:

edit:
forgot to add that I've never seen those adds but would probably be appalled. I don't agree with that kind of message. Its like that guy murdering the abortion doctor :crazy: defeats the purpose.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I think the only "need" for an abortion is when a mother's life is in danger. I think that a woman who is raped or faced with incest should go ahead and have the child, but I wouldn't expect them to keep it. Killing the fetus will not erase the rape. In no way do I doubt the extreme burdon this would place on a woman.

Now, after saying that, any slum who would rape or incest should be hung by his balls with 500 pound fishing line and then have his sac cut slowly with a straight razor dipped in alcohol until it rips open, he falls onto the ground and gets stoned, followed by a few bullets from a firing squad. Then burn him for good measure.

Jonathan

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
I promised myself I wouldn't post into this...but...the only time I have a right to decide anything about abortion is when I grow a uterus and actually get pregnant. :p

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
In Catholic grade school they showed us films. They did it again in high school. I'd see so many friggin discharged corpses by age 13, we were joking about it on the playground. We had become completely de-sensitized. All it did was prove to me that my teachers were attempting to brainwash me instead of teach me anything.

I would go completely ape and assault the driver. Then claim temporary insanity from adolescent trauma that resurfaced upon sight of the billboard.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
veedubyo said:
I just found out that you could actuall get an abortion even until the actual giving of birth. Can someone verify this for me. I heard that there was never really a law that states that you can only have abortion up to first/second trimester. Heck, I don't even think there is a law to Allow abortions. it was just a ruling in the supreme court.

Please help with my lack of information :oops:

edit:
forgot to add that I've never seen those adds but would probably be appalled. I don't agree with that kind of message. Its like that guy murdering the abortion doctor :crazy: defeats the purpose.
I've been told that you can have one up to the last trimester and then they label it as murder.

·
Registered
432 Posts
duandcc said:
I promised myself I wouldn't post into this...but...the only time I have a right to decide anything about abortion is when I grow a uterus and actually get pregnant. :p
yeah, i promsed myself that i would not post on this thread either....until i read yours (this is not necessarily directed at you, just my thoughts in general).

a baby being carried by it's mother does not have a voice to speak for it if she intends run said child thru the garbage disposal so as to not inconvenience herself. i don't see that having a uterus and being pregnant reserves you the right to deny your child's right to live.

food for thought: recent news story i heard on the radio. lady's doctors strongly urged her to deliver her twins via c-section. she "chose" not to have the c-section and delivered them vaginally because she did not want a scar. one of the babies was stillborn. prosecutor charged her with murder. now that really puts roe v. wade in a quandry doesn't it? or does it?

here's a link: http://beta.kpix.com/news/local/2004/03/12/HealthWatch:_Mother_Charged_with_Murder_After_Stillborn_Birth.html

sorry for the hijack. back on topic. don't like the pics you saw? do something to eliminate the subject matter of the photos!

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
duandcc said:
So do I need to be a minority to be able to say that discrimination is bad?

Or be a rape vicitm, to say that rape is wrong?

:crazy:

But using your logic, I was once one half of a pregancy relationship. So were you. I was the unborn child. So I believe that gives me "right"

-Nick

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Sorry Nick, I disagree, and it's OK for us to disagree. I stillbelive that mean have no right to say word 1 about abortion until we grow uteruses and start carrying these little paracites to term (I am not being mean, look up the definition of paracite...a fetus is in every way a paracite)...

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
Is abortion 'wrong'? I think so. Is it wrong to bring a child into the world that is 'unwanted'? I think so. From a purely objective standpoint abortion is insane. It is criminal and gruesome. From a pragmatic standpoint... not so. It is not my place to question the decisions women make with their bodies. It would be my place to question what my wife decides to do with her body, but question only.
I wish that somehting such as abortion wasn't an issue.
It breaks my heart to consider the lost potential, the harm done to the mother physically and emotionally, the gross detrimental effect on our collective morality, the list goes on.
I however can not make a broad stand on the issue. I can't endorse that our government does either. It is a decison for the woman to make with consultation from a doctor, her spouse/mate/lover, and if that's not possible a parent or other mentor. If that's not possible (as in many cases it may not be), I cry for the world that collectively we place people in these difficult situations.
The one thing I trully disdain about the whole pro-life movement is the constant insinuation that one who aborts is using it as a casual method of contraception. I think that if the statistics are examnied we would find a majority of the women to be, sad, remorseful, introspective, and generally moved by the experience. Most would not do it again. This is what my experience has shown me. I have known a few women to do it and none of them took it lightly. Quite the opposite really. In my experience Pro-Lifers treat the women less like humans than they treat the unborn child.
It's just another facet of our society that makes me sad. Abortion is real. It's existence reflects the human condition, As death it is a facet of life. I can't condone it as a deed, but I understand... :(

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
Spirare, I agree with you for the most part. But please don't judge the whole group to be of like mind just because a few are. A Majority of people who support life do NOT think women who have gone through abortion is "Less Human". If anything, it is more so that they we want to give support before and after she made the desicion. When I say before I mean to counsel her in her options. Many women today who are in these tough situations are not even givne other options but to just abort the baby. Don't think so? just go walk in a Planned Parenthood office and tell them you are pregnant and want an abortion... You will just be given all the information necessary to complete the procedure and maybe a phone number for a psychiatrist.

I don't think abortions will ever go away but at the very least lets promote alternatives "CHOICE" and make abortion as a last resort (when the mom is REALLY going to die if baby is not aborted). Lets make it so that teens who do get pregnant MUST consult with their parents first and NOT the other way around.

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
I understand your point Veedubyo. I agree also that the casual pundit, one who has an opinion but doesn't picket and block the entrance of the clinic is not neccessarliy of the mindset of one who treats these women poorly. But many of those pickters are unfortunately. A friend in college was accosted outside of a clinic. She had not yet even decided what she was going to do. She was going to talk and some man berated her and shoved her calling her a murderer and whore and such. She dropped out of college and moved home to have the baby a week later ( I was not the dad...). That type of behaviour is what I'm talking about... I know it isn't majority but it is enough. I see it the same way I see those billboards...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts