Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Retired PassatWorld Staff
Joined
·
6,165 Posts
No, they are not.

They are measured by three major, and one minor parameter. The two most important one's are inside diameter (actuall hub diameter), and outer diameter (wheel diameter). The ring must fit snuggly on both the hub, and the wheel. The third is depth, although most have settled on a common dimension for this.

The less important parameter, is more of a design thing. It is important that the ring have a sufficient chamfer (corner break) on edge that is formed by the inside diameter of the ring, and the inward facing suface (the one that faces the car). This assures that the corner will not interfere with the cars interfacing parts. Most will have this feature.

My recommendation is that you call your local Discount Tire (if you have one), and tell them the exact wheel and car info, and let them order a set for you (if they don't have them in stock). If you don't have one of those, track down your wheel manufacture, and find out the closest distributor to you... they'll have them also. The ones from Discount tire are like $6 for a set. They are an ingenious plastic design... and don't even think about running without them... you'll loose your fillings.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
pass-variant said:
No, they are not.

They are measured by three major, and one minor parameter. The two most important one's are inside diameter (actuall hub diameter), and outer diameter (wheel diameter). The ring must fit snuggly on both the hub, and the wheel. The third is depth, although most have settled on a common dimension for this.

The less important parameter, is more of a design thing. It is important that the ring have a sufficient chamfer (corner break) on edge that is formed by the inside diameter of the ring, and the inward facing suface (the one that faces the car). This assures that the corner will not interfere with the cars interfacing parts. Most will have this feature.

My recommendation is that you call your local Discount Tire (if you have one), and tell them the exact wheel and car info, and let them order a set for you (if they don't have them in stock). If you don't have one of those, track down your wheel manufacture, and find out the closest distributor to you... they'll have them also. The ones from Discount tire are like $6 for a set. They are an ingenious plastic design... and don't even think about running without them... you'll loose your fillings.

ok so my next question is, are hubcentric rings from a B6 A4 the same size as a 02 B5.5 ??/ would they fit? anybody know?

-Mark-
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
631 Posts
croman said:
ok so my next question is, are hubcentric rings from a B6 A4 the same size as a 02 B5.5 ??/ would they fit? anybody know?

-Mark-
It all depends on the wheel. While the rings might (empahsis on might) fit the hubs, you have to check if they will seat in the wheels properly. Pass_variant was right on the money.

Realistically, you should call your local wheel/tire shop. They have all the info you need in a database and can pull it up in seconds. Why wait around for us to answer your question? :???:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
965 Posts
Hub rings vary from wheel to wheel.
All Audis/VW's use a 57.1mm hub, so the ID of the rings will be 57.1mm. The OD of the rings will vary.
www.purems.com carries a wide array of different rings, if you happen to know what you need.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the info guys, but i should have been more specific..
i bought some rims off a guy with a 2003 (b6) Audi A4...
im gonna pick them up so.. was pretty much wondering if those hubcentric rings will be fine for me car.. (im at work right now so i havent really had time to look up any wheel shops (ofcourse ive got time for CB5 though :roll: ) lol) and yeah once again thanks.. ok back to work i go, i swear!

-Mark-
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,658 Posts
croman said:
thanks for the info guys, but i should have been more specific..
i bought some rims off a guy with a 2003 (b6) Audi A4...
im gonna pick them up so.. was pretty much wondering if those hubcentric rings will be fine for me car.. (im at work right now so i havent really had time to look up any wheel shops (ofcourse ive got time for CB5 though :roll: ) lol) and yeah once again thanks.. ok back to work i go, i swear!

-Mark-
Check out this site lots of info
http://www.prestigewheel.com/HubCentricTable.asp
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
201 Posts
If these are factory wheels they should already be hubcentric for the A4, with out needing rings, after market wheels require them because the wheel has to accommodate a number of hub sizes for a given bolt pattern. Since the A4 and b5 share a hub size of 57.1mm they should bolt right on and be properly centered on the hub.

HTH

Cheers Frank :) :drink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
201 Posts
In my experience all oem rims come hubcentric, in other words the wheels are manufactured to fit the hub exactly without the need for a centering ring, as this is a specific application. After market wheels should come with the rings for your specific hub size,when the wheel has more than 1 application, or at least be available for purchase with the wheels. For B5's the I.D. of the ring would be 57.1mm, and as pass-variant said should fit snuggly into the wheel.

Cheers Frank :) :drink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
201 Posts
I meant all B5 and B5.5's OEM rims will be hubcentric. If the wheel is not centered on the hub you will have vibration issues similar to the wheel/tire being out of balance, also it will be hard to keep the wheel/tire balanced. This problem will be more exaggerated on a wider lower profile wheel and tire combination. Bottom line is to buy a GOOD quality light alloy wheel from a quality manufacturer and you shopuld have no issues. You get what you pay for. I had a bad experience with cheap after market alloys, I will not make that mistake again.

Cheers Frank :) :drink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
240 Posts
ok so then i will always get them if i buy good normal rims from a store and not cheap ones, cuz i was thinking of oz superlegs or some adr or maybe bbs not sure yet, or hp will all these come with the rings
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,658 Posts
toneloc07 said:
ok so then i will always get them if i buy good normal rims from a store and not cheap ones, cuz i was thinking of oz superlegs or some adr or maybe bbs not sure yet, or hp will all these come with the rings
Dude you have to tell the store where ever you buy the rims that you need the rings. Yes you need the rings for aftermarklet wheels!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
240 Posts
thanks sorry, i am new to this whole mod thing and this is my first car, so you will have to bear with me, if i buy them from an online site like wheelguyz will they be able to send them with the rims??? thanks
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
About this Discussion
21 Replies
9 Participants
Warped
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing
Top