Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I run this website for a semester long independent study type thing for High School. It's over at http://www.needcomphelp.com and so far I've designed it using an amateur Photoshop job, and I've used Frontpage and HTML to write the content. My problem is that it's all really disorganized coding and I'm probably going to want to print all the coding out at the end of the semester. Rather than hand-organize it, I've been looking for a program that could do it for me.

The only thing I could find was something that pretty much got rid of all returns and blank lines in the code and it moved everything to the left margin. Not much of a organizer....

Any help is appreciated!

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
dreamweaver will do a nice job of organizing. As long as you don't let it write anything. I think it puts waaay too much code in than is necessary. I'm currently on a project where the guy before me used dw exclusively and I've spent the past several months deleting all the extra code.

Personally I like to organize everything by hand, but I'm a purist. I also code in vi. coz I'm a big nerd.

edit: i just looked at the code on that page - it looks very clean and organized... what's the problem?

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
You can download a trial of Dreamweaver from Macromedia. I believe the latest version has a code clean up feature. I've never used it but worth a shot.

Just make a back up before using it... ya never know.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies. I have cleaned up code on maybe 5-10 pages, but it's really tedious and a PITA.
Personally I like to organize everything by hand, but I'm a purist
Well that's how I am cuz the way that Frontpage and Dreamweaver (although I haven't used it) work is that you tell it to do something and it automatically generates the code. I know enough that I could do everything I want by hand, but Frontpage makes it a little bit easier. And it also doesn't organize it the exact way I want to :crazy:

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just ran my front page through a pretty printer and it does everything well but there's one thing that will cause the site to not function right, and what it does is it will indent the <TD> and </TD> tags. They're the only thing that I really don't want to be indented because these two blocks of code will not display exactly the same.

<td>
Blahblahblah
</td>

and

<td>
Blahblahblah</td>

The first example will put a return after the end of the text, for some unknown reason. This caused a little space in my layout, and it took me an entire day to figure out it was that stupid little return :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Well thanks for referencing me to "pretty printers", I didn't know that's what code organizers are called. I'll eventually figure one out.

·
Banned
5,213 Posts
Kiyoshi said:
Thanks for the replies. I have cleaned up code on maybe 5-10 pages, but it's really tedious and a PITA.
Personally I like to organize everything by hand, but I'm a purist
Well that's how I am cuz the way that Frontpage and Dreamweaver (although I haven't used it) work is that you tell it to do something and it automatically generates the code. I know enough that I could do everything I want by hand, but Frontpage makes it a little bit easier. And it also doesn't organize it the exact way I want to :crazy:
I also do HTML by hand. I learned HTML when no such programs existed yet. Here at work, I used to use FrontPage but I was always in the tab that allowed me to edit HTML source code. I used FrontPage just for organization and instant gratification (no need to switch between editor and browser).

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Dreamweaver is your friend. Contrary to others, I find it write beautifull code - up to a point, then hand cleanup is needed.

@ Kiyoshi: Open the pages in DW, click on 'commands', 'clean up (frontpage) html'. Then click 'command' again, then on 'apply source formating'.

I checked your code, and as Hotani said, code looks clean.

·
Banned
2,107 Posts
I hand write everything and i only use HTMLed Pro to help me with ASCII and Color Codes...It also highlights the tags in different colors then the viewed text of the page...making it easier to edit...
e.g:

other than that, Notepad.exe is my editor of choice...i've tried frontpage and dreamweaver and i can't navigate through them at alll...

...and yes, i use non-breaking spaces instead of tabspaces...i find it easier to control width that way...

this is my latest work:

http://reservoirdubs.cjb.net
i stopped work on it because we have rdubs.com that is currently being worked on...

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
maniac_productions said:
...and yes, i use non-breaking spaces instead of tabspaces...i find it easier to control width that way...
or you could use:
Code:
 <a href="link.com" style="margin-right: 20px">mylink</a>
how's that for control? :lol:

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
vi? You old-school, crazy bastard.

emacs for life. :p

·
Registered
283 Posts
I'm backing hotani on this one, if he'll accept a vim user :D

I'll second jwil on the validator link. He may also be interested in HTMLTidy from the W3C as well.

For an editor that does a better job making clean code to start with, try mozilla's editor.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
CSS owns.
CSS?? I'm not advanced enough for that stuff.

I'm learning Java now, I dunno all that CGI, MySQL, Perl, PHP, yadda, yadda, that all the advanced, commercial websites use.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts