Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this howling I'm experiencing under full throttle a typical characteristic of the W8 motor. I'm calling it a howling sound. It's a bit high. Some may call it a whistle. I'm pretty sure it's not wind noise from the exterior of the car.

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,302 Posts
Can you catch the sound on video? That might help. I don't remember a higher pitched howling sound when I drove one. Just the sound of me squealing like a toddler chasing a kitty :).

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
It would be a good idea to try and capture the sound via a video as VAGguy suggests.
I can say that both of my W8's make distinct noises at certain rpm's.
My latest W8, a 2004 that I purchased from member JayTheSnork makes a very distinct sound, almost a whine to it.
It leads some people to believe that it's supercharged.
I'll admit, I have no idea what generates that sound but it's exclusive to the W8 motor.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I'll agree, my 03 makes a different sound than my wife's ATQ, I chalk it up to the difference in the intake plenums. Long runners vs variable would be my theory.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just went and had a test, no unusual sounds here. But I wouldn't be surprised if something in the intake path plastic has developed some sort of resonance on yours at certain loads over time though. My Jetta did something similar after I'd had it for a few years.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did capture it on a sound file. No need to post it here. AndreasPassat's description as a supercharger sound is a good one.

Thanks guys, I guess this is mostly a typical W8 character.

I'm making a separate post describing my newest W8 problem soon. (It's a bad one)

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
I gotta wonder if it's related to the (2) balance shafts, as they spin twice the rpm as the crankshaft.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts