Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I just bought our first passat on Sat.
She wrecked her minivan a couple of months back and we had an 06 Jetta for a rental. So from then on we where both sold on VWs.
I have never realy liked cars until I drove the Jetta. I have a Jeep with a 3" lift and little 31" tires. I must admit the passat is a fun car to drive. I never thought I would buy a car and want to lower it and put 18" rims on, but after looking at some other passats I can now see which direction this car will be going.

My first thing I am wanting to do is to get more punch from a dead stop. It is kinda slow until the turbo winds up and then it launches. So where do I start?:confused:

J.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I have never realy liked cars until I drove the Jetta. I have a Jeep with a 3" lift and little 31" tires.
I was exactly the same way. I'd only ever owned Jeeps and a Chevy pickup before I reluctantly test drove a Passat, but I immediately fell in love with it.

The quickest/cheapest way to get more power, and the first thing most people do, is to get a performance chip.

Here is a write-up about it: http://www.passatworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102329

Welcome to the site!

·
Registered
8,200 Posts
Welcome J. Do you have a manual or Tiptronic? If manual, you have to train yourself to lauch in the boost range, ~1700 rpms. If Tiptronic, you can get a chip from www.giacusa.com that will shift faster, but you'll also have to do some self-training to get the kind of launches that you're looking to get.

Hope this helps, and welcome to the Club!

Kenny

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome J. Do you have a manual or Tiptronic? If manual, you have to train yourself to lauch in the boost range, ~1700 rpms. If Tiptronic, you can get a chip from www.giacusa.com that will shift faster, but you'll also have to do some self-training to get the kind of launches that you're looking to get.

Hope this helps, and welcome to the Club!

Kenny
it is a the triptronic since my wife does not know how to drive a manual.:puke:

but I have decided that I need a passat now and I will have a manual and a TDI if they make one.

·
Moderator/Administrator
25,294 Posts
Diverter valve. Since it's a tip you may never really have the jump off the line that you want. You can make it better, but not much. Just get it chipped and then fly past someone from behind.

·
Registered
28,344 Posts
Welcome. If you send me your email address, I can add you to the mailing list for my garage day GTG. You can see several modded cars, we usually have 15 people or so.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts