Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
9,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Democratic party is done. They are so confused. If any additional proof was needed, this is it.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6958538/

His election as party chairman is a huge mistake. Just a few short months ago he couldn't even secure the Democratic nomination for President. They're obviously trying to reposition themselves but the direction they're moving to is not the right one.

How do the Dems. here feel about this?

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Dean seems like a decent guy with views that resemble mine and above average inteligence, I'm sold.

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
I saw him speak when I was at UW Madison. He actually said what he believed and stood by it. Zero BS with Dean. I was so confused. I thought he was suppose to be a Democrat...

I may not agree with him on a number of issues, but like Kezho said, he seems like a decent guy -- which is something I'd think we'd all hope to see some more of in politics.

But it's hard to say what he'll be like a few years from now after being part of the "machine" for so long.

The best thing he can do now is present a clear, solid message and plan to the country. A sort of new "contract with America" (if anyone remembers the early '90s). With some luck the Democrats can go from the "NO!" party to the "bold new vision for the future" party.

But I'm not holding my breath...

·
Rogue Assassin
2,977 Posts
If J-RAD thinks this is a bad move for the Democratic Party, they must be doing something right.;)

Forget the shrill sound bites that torpedoed his candidacy and his sometimes caustic and confrontational demeanor that didn't play well with voters outside of Vermont. Fact is that Dean was the only candidate who offered a cogent vision for the future of the country and his party. He was the only candidate who thought about vision first and public opinion polls second. He raised millions of dollars from previously uninvolved citizens, using new technologies and strategies to do so. If he can do what he does best -- finding a way to connect with the everyday concerns of the American people -- and can stash his ego, he could be a tremendous asset to the party in the next four years. If not...well, he couldn't be worse than any of the other alternatives.

The proof will be in the proverbial pudding, but I think this will work out well for the Democrats.

·
Super Moderator
14,046 Posts
Dean's a good choice IMHO. His job will be to energize the base and pull in funds. Will he help the Dems win? No, that will take the right candidate.

·
Reverend Arthur Dimmwit
3,988 Posts
JazzMat said:
If J-RAD thinks this is a bad move for the Democratic Party, they must be doing something right.;)
Ditto. It is ironic that one of our most vehement, conservative warmongers is giving us liberals (dems) advice about how to improve the Democratic party. But, then again, J-rad is never wrong; therefore he must know what's best for us liberals. :lookout:

Dean's message rings true with me. I'm not a Democrat, but I would, and would have voted for Dean.

·
Super Moderator
14,046 Posts
poohbear said:
one of our most vehement, conservative warmongers is giving us liberals (dems) advice about how to improve the Democratic party.
Typical. Marginalize the poster by calling them names. :hmmm:

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Dean rings true to me too. There are a lot of people that I could say I would be disappointed with, but Dean is not one of them. I also think it's fantastic to get someone to chair the DNC who already has strong political following nationwide. Most committe chairs are relative no names. Now, lets get us some candidates. I nominate Wellstone! I guess you probably have to be living, damn.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
poohbear said:
Ditto. It is ironic that one of our most vehement, conservative warmongers is giving us liberals (dems) advice about how to improve the Democratic party. But, then again, J-rad is never wrong; therefore he must know what's best for us liberals. :lookout:

Dean's message rings true with me. I'm not a Democrat, but I would, and would have voted for Dean.
I don't find it anymore ironic than similar postings from Democrats trying to explain what is wrong with the Republican party.

And Urlik is right -- you're attacking the messenger, not the message.

If Dean will be principled and stay true to those principles, that will be a good first step. However, it is not enough. His ideas have to be ideas the country agrees with for the Democrats to succeed. Otherwise, he will need to be a salesman to get the votes. Failing that, the Democrats are going to stay right where they are.

·
Super Moderator
14,046 Posts
poohbear said:
"vehement, conservative warmonger" Which part of my description is inaccurate or degrading?
So you're trying to say your comments are not meant to degrade anything they say? :crazy:

·
Registered
497 Posts
Smoke 88 said:
i think most people wanted Dean to run enstead of kerry, if only he didn't scream...
What's wrong with him screaming??? We finally had someone that was excited about leading this nation in the right direction. It's no where near as annoying as Bush's cockyness and.....ehh....his......pauses.....as....ah....he tries to....eh, think what he's.....trying to say.

George W. Bush's words to fill in the blanks:

Freedom
Terrorists
we're workin hard!?!
Saddam Hussein
Tony Blair
that almost made me wanna scow
Iraq

·
Rogue Assassin
2,977 Posts
91 16V Jetta said:
As a Die Hard Right Wing Conservative Republican, I think the democrats made an EXCELLENT move by selecting Howard Dean.

WAY TO GO DEMS!!! THANK YOU!!!

Urlik: You do realize how hard it is to resist marginalizing some posters by calling them names, don't you?

·
Super Moderator
14,046 Posts
JazzMat said:
Urlik: You do realize how hard it is to resist marginalizing some posters by calling them names, don't you?
They do beg for it at times. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
9,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
poohbear said:
It is ironic that one of our most vehement, conservative warmongers is giving us liberals (dems) advice about how to improve the Democratic party. But, then again, J-rad is never wrong; therefore he must know what's best for us liberals. :lookout:
:biglaugh: Ahhhhhh...I can feel the love from here. :crazy:

Anyway...

Many of you consider him a good choice and this makes me curious. How can this possibly be said? Just a year ago he wan't good enough to be the Democratic Presidential nominee. He came in 3rd in Iowa garnering an impressive 6.9% of the votes and thn went on to lose 17 more primaries...all by very large margins. The only primary he won was his home state of Vermont. This despite an early start and an incredible grassroots movement (if you consider substantial support from Moveon.org as grassroots). Now, he's good enough to lead the party?!

I don't buy it. Even when he was getting early covers on Time and Newsweek, his likability factor was plummeting. Moderate Democrats were worried and Republicans, well, they were happy. At the time, many in his own party cried that he was too liberal. I view Dean's situation as not unlike my state's Senator, Mark Dayton, who realized his views made him a liability and put his seat in serious jeopardy. Instead he's announced he will not seek re-election in lieu of a better Democratic candidate. Dean's appointment to chair the Democratic party puts him in a position to seriously implode an already disfunctional party. You seriously think moving the party further left is the answer? This is contrary to the approach of the beloved Bill Clinton.

·
Super Moderator
14,046 Posts
Look at the job description J-Rad. He fits it well. You make it sound like McCauliffe screwed it up but he just brought in the funds and labor. Dean will do even better at that.

·
Registered
9,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Urlik said:
Look at the job description J-Rad. He fits it well. You make it sound like McCauliffe screwed it up but he just brought in the funds and labor. Dean will do even better at that.
That's precisely my point, do you think Dean is the best person to lead the Democrat's in raising funds? (actually, you've already said you do, so the question is redundant but anyway...) He enjoyed success early in his campaign but then stalled out. I'd argue this was a result of his limited appeal. Nonetheless, his fundraising ability is certainly somehting they're counting on. However, there is truly more to the position than just that. The party chairman does play a pivotal role in direction of the party and communicating that direction. Is he the best candidate for that?

See Dean's plan:
http://www.democrats.org/index2.html

1 - 20 of 73 Posts