Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the weekends, I typically stay with a friend in Central NJ. A couple months ago he got his 2001 Audi S4 stolen from his parking lot right outside his apartment.

That got me thinking... How different is the alarm / anti-theft system on a 2003 Passat versus an Audi? Same company so to speak (albeit a couple years apart), so my guess is that they are pretty similar.

So how vunerable are we (stock, without aftermarket anti-theft devices)? And who has installed additional anti-theft systems, and how well do you think they work?

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
The stock immobilizer system is pretty good. It will not allow the car to be driven, which is what you want. If they just try to jimmy the locks and ignition, they will not get far, which is good for those types of situations. Broken windows and dashboard components are cheaper than whole cars.

But, it will not prevent the car from being hoisted up on a truck. Or, they can still get rims and HIDs, etc. without much work.

Odds are the S4 was stolen for parts, either for a chop shop's customer or some hoodlum with an A4 who wanted parts. It is not easy to silence an Audi or Passat's alarm, without drawing attention to one's escapades, but if the lot is empty, once they get it shut it off, they wait to see if anyone comes, if no one shows up, they continue to move the car san alarm.

I have not put any additional systems in any of my VWs or Audis. I figure if they really want the car, they will get it. But, I park in my own garage or a well used lot where I can see it from work, so I am not too worried.

One very common way for cars to be stolen is in home break-ins, where they find the keys and car at home and put the two together. Unless a neighbor knows they are gone, seeing a familar car backing out is not going to startle anyone.

Mark

·
Registered
598 Posts
Alot of people say that they have these 400$ alarm systems and there cars will never get stolen, well my friend has (well had now) a cady with a remote start, the whole 9 yards, payed like 550$ installed for the alarm. He said that every time he had gone to work the alarm kept going off anf paging him. He payed no atention to it, 2 weeks later his car is gone, the cops said that the thefe probly kept going back till he found a week piont in the alarm system and he stole the car. :weirdo:

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
alarms are for honest people....a tow truck defeats any alarm system expect the alarm to deter but not stop a theif if he wants your car he will get it

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Dont ask me how but one time i locked my keys in my trunk. I had the Triple A guys come down to try to let me in my car. Long story short the guy who had been breaking into cars for 40 plus years couldn't get past the counter measures of my passat. However if a would be theif isn't above breaking a window it would riddle those counter measures useless.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Ahhh, this post reminds me of that SNL skit with Phil Hartman. You know, the one where he's showing off that piece of crap car that is so ugly no one will steal it. I'd love to see that one again.

Jonathan

·
6th Grade
14,918 Posts
jjasper13 said:
Ahhh, this post reminds me of that SNL skit with Phil Hartman. You know, the one where he's showing off that piece of crap car that is so ugly no one will steal it. I'd love to see that one again.

Jonathan
The 1993 Chameleon XLE!!!

"They might tow it away, but they'll never steal it."

·
Registered
237 Posts
The 1993 Chameleon XLE!!!

"They might tow it away, but they'll never steal it."
LMAO!!!
Sharky, I didn't realize how good you were until just now. Truely impressive. Didn't it have a single school bus yellow rim??

Jonathan

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
you have nothing to worry.

One time I accidently locked my keys in the trunk and I called VW roadside assistance. They had a set of slim jims (some are made for specific makes and models), but they couldn't pop the lock open. Apparently there is a metal box that protects the locking mechanism from being tampered with, so the slim jims were rendered useless.

I had the sunroof tilted open and we tried to pull the door pull and push the unlock button through the roof with a metal bar, but when the car is locked the power locks is disabled on the inside. So, if someone were to break the window they still have no way of opening the doors.

Luckily I remembered I had a valet key in the glovebox, so we managed to open the glovebox and fish the key out through the sunroof.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Probably your best defense is a LOJACK system or if you have OnStar keep it your account activated. Both LOJACK and OnStart can locate your after it has been stolen. Like it has been mentioned here, if they want it bad enough they will take the car. Alarms may keep your average hoodlum from getting the car, but a professional car thief will get your car everytime.

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
don't make your car too flashy, esp. rims. passat's aren't usually stolen for stock parts cuz there isn't as large of a market for them then say, accords or camrys.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Install a satellite tracking system(GPS) if you get your car stolen you can call the security company and they turn off your car and track it
or you conect to the internet type the security code and you car turns off

·
Registered
648 Posts
Having friends who have had Civic's stolen up and down, I take no risk, first off to start, for them to get around the immobilizer is easy if you hang around euro forums you already know, just get an updated VAG. They sure can't jimmy it or push the power door locks, but if they break the window your ALARM will not go off. Once they break your window they can just pull your door handle and the door will open. Pull your back driver side seat down rip the wire to the Alarm speaker and work the magic with the VAG TOOL. WHO CAN HEAR THERE STOCK ALARM GOING OFF ANYWAY??? I sure can not!

All the two way alarms are the worst, they set your alarm off a few times to locate your ALARM speaker, then once they found it, they come back later get to the speaker with out setting off the alarm, or get to it fast so the alarm does not go off to long, then once that is finished they're in your car looking for the ALARM brain, now with all the two way alarm brains I know, VIPER, CLIFFORD, so on once you just simply disconnect the wires from the brain (WHICH SNAP OFF) you can turn on the car, the ignition is already wired for remote start which makes it simple to start the car.

MY SOLUTION:

I purchased a the TOP of the LINE Alpine Alarm (THEY JUST STOP MAKING THEM). The Alpine Alarm's brain if not connect will not allow the car to start, so if they get to your brian and snap the wires off still no start, so the brain is a immobilizer it self, making it close to impossible to start without having close to 3-4hours on your car to put the car back to stock. This is one of the only alarms that have that. Second, the Alarm box is not where all Alarm box's are located. It is hidden somewhere else in the car where no one can really find it, unless they spend one hour tracing the wires, once they find it, they're still back to step one (NO START). I have a hood sensor, it will set off the alarm if the hood is popped. Even if they pop it, rip off my front bumper to get to the siren which is hidden, or just simply disconnect the battery, there is a back up siren with a backup battery that can last for up to two hours. The car also has a TILT sensor that can tell if the car is being towed/jacked up. I have a proximity sensor that tells if someone is hanging around the car too long to key it or just look inside and will warn them first by flashing the LED Alarm light fast, then Chirping, and finally setting off the alarm (ALL THIS IN 15 seconds). Standard Shock Sensor. And also a sensor for the inside so if someone just happens to get in. Everything is personally set to my life style, so I never really get any false alarms.

All this is to slow a thief down, nothing can really stop them, after all, your car is a MOVING thing.

Just thought I share what took me years to figure out in a few minutes.

Alex

·
Registered
164 Posts
My solution:

'99 passat 1.8T WAGON
'99 A4 2.8Q WAGON

Wagons seem to be "boost proof" :p

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
dc2002

funny you mentioned that-- I havent had a speeding ticket w/ my "family car' since i've acquired it in 1999. Granted, it is a wagon, black, tinted, w/ 16" 5 spoke MAK wheels, lowered (Eibach), Kamei Grill, HIDs, no front license plate--- But to this date, i can always hit 80-90mph (heck even 100mph plus on a good day) My partner, who drives the 2002 GLX v6 Sedan, stock, got a ticket w/in 2 years of acquiring the car- For speeding- only 10 miles from home... :p

Yeah i guess you might say wagons are "stealth" especially in 'stock form'. Perhaps if my wagon was dressed up like some of our drivers here in ClubB5- w/ 18-19 inch wheels, slammed, w/ dark limo tint all over-- perhaps then it won't be soo stealth..

On the other hand, thank goodness, i haven't seen any 'signs' that my car was tampered into for breaking (used to live in the 'bad part' of the valley)
but now live in Simi- and car is parked/garaged alongside the GLX.

e :wink:

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have a b5.5 and yesterday at noon in broad daylight i went to eat lunch and when i came back in my visitor parkade my door lock was picked through, they got in some how, and punched my ignition. Luckily the passive immobilizer stopped it. Im so sad. I only had the car for 3 days. Does the alarm go off when they pick my key hole lock to get in? How did they get in that fashion?

I want some security that will disable theives and render them unconcious.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts