Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My CD changer crapped out on me yesterday and I was planning on getting a iPod anyway. So, I know that it can be wired to where the CD changer is. The question I have is how? I have a 99 B5. I am not sure whether I have a single DIN or a double DIN (as I don't know the difference in terminology). Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
151 Posts
pie blitzsafe and some others make cd changer adapters, theres a thread on this at least once or twice a month so try to use the search function if you can get it to agree.

Also look up something called icelink for the slickest integration which lets your hu control the ipod.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Check out enfig.com, they have some ipod specific cables as well as generic cables you can hook up to the ipod via RCA jacks.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am aware of the enfig wiring, and I have emailed them to get some specifics. Anyway, the blitzsafe and pie.net just connect to where the CD changer goes in the trunk and I then connect to some RCA jacks and run the wiring under the seats to the iPod. Someone told me about a ground loop isolator. Does anone know anything about these? Also, does the Blitzsafe allow a power connection? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
1Big Ed said:
I am aware of the enfig wiring, and I have emailed them to get some specifics. Anyway, the blitzsafe and pie.net just connect to where the CD changer goes in the trunk and I then connect to some RCA jacks and run the wiring under the seats to the iPod. Someone told me about a ground loop isolator. Does anone know anything about these? Also, does the Blitzsafe allow a power connection? Thanks.
Enfig also has adapters that terminate behind the headunit in RCA jacks. Just put a mini-phono jack in the 6th switch position and run wires to the RCA inputs of the adapter you get from Enfig.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I installed a Kenwood HU that I pulled from my old car before trading it in. The Kenwood HU's colors match perfectly. I also installed an iPod mini to the Kenwood. The install was quite simple. I researched and decided on this install. The iPod's audio plays through the Kenwood chrystal clear and also charges while it is docked. Very clean and neat 8) . I didn't like the silver color of the HU so I disassembled and painted flat black to match the interior. Visit my album to view pics http://rgarcia1.photosite.com/Passat/

·
Registered
454 Posts
For my '99 I bought the BlitzSafe adapter from enfig.com and it works great with my iPod. I got the one that plugs into the back of the head unit where the changer would normally go. i didn't want to mess with routing cables from the trunk plus adding any interference along the way. 65.00 seemed kinda steep but the sound is great coming from the line-out directly into my head-unit. I'm using a Sik Imp for the line-out and charging thru the dock connector. :thumbup:

·
Registered
33 Posts
what is involved with connecting an ipod to an aftermarket HU? i have a sony mx800 in dash. can i run rca jacks through the sixth switch and how do i power it? cig. lighter?

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
which adapter allows you to use your steering wheel controls to switch tracks?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I ordered the blitzsafe unit and power upgrade unit from Enfig.com. It is supposed to be here on Saturday. Hopefully it will arrive on time and I can install it this weekend. I would really like to use the ipod in the B5 since my CD changer crapped out on me two weeks ago. Boy am I going crazy just listening to the regular radio. I got rid of all my cassesttes a few years ago, so I am really screwed until I get the ipod hooked up. I will update you all on the install. After I get it hardwired, I will have to order a profit holder for the ipod. The question then becomes, where do I place my cell phone as that spot will be taken by the ipod. I will post pictures of it all when it is done.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, I hooked up my Ipod this evening. It took all of 15 minutes. The dealer popped the radio for me while I was there today and it did not take long to wire the system up. I was shocked and surprised to see how easy it really was. A big thanks go out to Christian at enfig.com for helping me out with this as well as those who provided me guidance and directions so I did not totally f*ck it all up.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
jwilker said:
the one from enfig, how long is the cable? reach to the center console? Not sure I want to mount the iPod on the dash but maybe somewhere in the center by the ebrake
The wire will reach the ebrake. It also depends on how you route the wire there, but there seems to be sufficient slack to do so. I too thought about wiring the pod there, but I really like being able to look "over" at it rather than down and off the road. Just a preference I suppose. Good luck with it.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
About this Discussion
31 Replies
18 Participants
SpearHeadX
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing