Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a '03 Passat GLS Wagon 5spd with 50K showing on the odometer. I'm wondering if it might have been rolled back. Is there a way to check the odometer truthfulness using VCDS?

·
Registered
837 Posts
Kind of a useless guide if you ask me. Nothing about how an electronic odometer using non-volatile memory can be changed. As far as I know, VCDS will tell you the same thing as the odo display, but in kilometers.
Yeah that guide is extremely useless lol

·
Registered
12,075 Posts
I recently bought a '03 Passat GLS Wagon 5spd with 50K showing on the odometer. I'm wondering if it might have been rolled back. Is there a way to check the odometer truthfulness using VCDS?
No. Your best bet is the techniques in the link in post #2, particularly Motor Vehicle records.

·
Registered
784 Posts
No. Your best bet is the techniques in the link in post #2, particularly Motor Vehicle records.
that is the part i mostly posted for, the rest is kind of common sense or useless. ive seen cars that old with that few miles, but they were almost museum quality.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Some people just don't drive their cars, they have company vehicles,etc. I bought my '04 in '08 with only 10k miles on her. How someone could only average 2,500 miles a year. :crazy: to me.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I too have an '04 bought in '08. It had 48056 miles on it. Manufactured in August '03, it was 5 years old. The sales manager ask me how long I intended to drive the car, and I replied: 5 years. He rolled his eyes and smiled. That was 7 years and 113,000 miles ago.

·
Registered
26,616 Posts
The ECU will read the mileage on the cluster, even when you change the ECU.

We bought our 05 Golf new in Oct 2004. It just hit 52K and the kids put 8-9K of that on the car.

·
Loose female member
4,889 Posts
It is possible to change the millage displayed with the correct software.
Best idea is the dealer, with the vin they can tell you the latest millage recorded with them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts