Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
8,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just replaced my mirror glass with the blue-tinted Jetta reflectors, and in the process I discovered that I DO have heated mirrors after all.

So I plugged in the heater wires, and I twiggled the mirror control knob until the mirrors started to get warm. The problem is, I don't know what I did to turn the heaters on, and I don't know how to turn them off either.

Do I just have to turn the mirror control knob so that it's pointed at the heater symbol, or do I have to tilt the knob in some direction as well? And once I've got the heaters turned on, how do I turn them off? I don't need them running in the summer, obviously.

·
In reverse, but chained to a tree.
13,904 Posts
!!!WARNING:THIS WILL MELT PARTS (wires, i believe, inside the mirror) AND CRAP WILL HAPPEN IF YOU LEAVE IT ON ALL THE TIME. RECOMENDED USE WHEN NECCESSARY!!!

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
You'll burn out the heater elements in your mirrors prematurely so you don't want to leave them on all of the time but I haven't heard of anyone ever melting parts or wires before.

·
RETIRED Super Stealth Moderator
27,881 Posts
the heating elements are part of the mirrors. you have to buy new mirrors if the elements are burned out...

·
Banned
8,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So...to confirm the one guy's post...

The heaters are always on whenever the knob is pointed at the heater symbol? No knob-tilting is necessary? Do the heaters stay on when the key isn't in the ignition?

EDIT: Another question: I don't have a GLX. I thought heated mirrors were a GLX feature, not available on the GLS. Is this correct? If it is, why do I have heated mirrors? Not that I'm complaining, mind you...

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
So...to confirm the one guy's post...

The heaters are always on whenever the knob is pointed at the heater symbol? No knob-tilting is necessary? Do the heaters stay on when the key isn't in the ignition?
Yes, pointing the knob to the heater symbol is all you need to do. Tilting is not necessary. Ignition key must be in, positive is a switched positive through the ignition switch.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts