Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
I got this user title because I'm old and special
8,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some software, and I have lost the original disks. I want to transfer these software to a new computer.

Is there anyway to do this without using another software program?
How hard is this?
Norton Ghost supposedly does this, but I only want a single program off two different computers, and I don't want to spend money.

·
Registered
11,542 Posts
Is this an older program or a newer program. The reason I ask is newer programs typically have a lot of dependancies and use a lot of system hooks and things like dlls. You can transfer the program files but you will find that the dependancies/hooks/dlls will not be transfered automatically unless you root them out and move them 1 by 1.

You can cross-over cable the machines and UNC into the original machine and simply copy the files/folder over to start.

Ghost can copy/image a complete disk or a single partition but not a single program from within a disk/partition.

Good luck!

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
if its just a single binary, that's fine, usually.

but windows 'installs' often do lots of messy things. they muck with registry. they leave files 'places'. they even write hidden stuff to sectors and then mark those sectors as 'taken'.

its not worth the risk, usually. the tangled mess that is windows usually prefers fresh installs to hunt/find all the files and stuff that the install touched.

·
I got this user title because I'm old and special
8,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have Photoshop 7. I have it at work and can't find the original. They are migrating to a new system, so I want to take it with me, since it isn't allowed on the new system. I don't want to spend $500 on Photoshop 8.

The other is Quicken 2003 Deluxe. I think I have the disks still somewhere, but I still haven't found them. So just in case, I could kill two birds with one question.

I know the roots are friggin everywhere. I found that out years ago doing something similar.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
5 Participants
Somber Goat
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing