Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if I can disconnect my passenger airbag? My wife is watching my neighbors kids, and with ours there is 4 of them. So can I somehow disable the front airbag so that my son can sit up front on the way home from school? I really don't want to have to buy a minivan now or ever for that matter! And this is just temperary.

·
needs more cowbell
5,945 Posts
can't the kids just stack on the back seat?

kidding of course!

·
Lisa Simpson
15,043 Posts
Crisper - how old and how big are the kids?

I put my 7YO up front occasionally, and just push the seat back as far as it can go. This gets the kid out of the range of the airbag. I also put the seatbelt adjuster down and barber the seat up. All told, I feel comfortable with that position that he will be out of harm's way, particularly from the airbag system.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My son is 7 as well but he's really tall so maybe I can do what Alex suggests for now. Also a wagon won't help unless I buy a Pacifica (yuck)

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
^bump^ for interesting topic...

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Do Passats not have a pad in the seat to determine if anyone is sitting there, and if so, if their weight is appropriate to set off the airbag or not? I thought the Beetles did... so I figured the Passats would, too...

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Do Passats not have a pad in the seat to determine if anyone is sitting there, and if so, if their weight is appropriate to set off the airbag or not? I thought the Beetles did... so I figured the Passats would, too...
Off topic -- on a recent trip to Hawaii, our rental car (pos chevy impala) had a dashboard indicator for when the airbag was disabled due to a too-light passenger in the front seat. In the morning my wife was too light to enable the airbag; however, after a big lunch or dinner the airbag would turn on. Next morning, she'd be too light again. :lol:

·
I'm Urlik's Hero
9,783 Posts
My wife's SEAT Ibiza has a key-slot in the glove box to turn the airbag on or off. I know a few other cars have this feature too.

As for the pad in the seat, I think the older model Passat's didn't have this, but this may have been added to the late model B5.5 and B6

1 - 18 of 18 Posts