Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally replaced a piece of my lower bumper grill on my 99 B5, and now the rest of it looks like crap in comparison. The new piece is dark shiny black, while the rest is a dull whitish gray. The lower trim along the doors is the same color.

Is there a good product that will restore this to a "like new" condition? Kind of shoe polish type solution? Or should I just take some sand paper to the new piece :) ?

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I guess you could just use armorall, it works on my car, though you have to do it at every wash to keep it looking good :thumbup:

·
Registered
109 Posts
I've heard that Forever Black contains a dye which doesn't just "dress" it, but it actually colors your plastics - similar to how a shoe polish would work. You might want to give that a try.

Tony

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
using armor all on plastics is bad. The plastic gets used to having the aromor all and when it doesnt get it, it'll have that greyish bad finish. The shoe polish stuff might work tho

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
VWJ I actually have purchased a bottle of forever black. I would say it should be part of the auto detail kit. But I think you should only use it on small parts, because it does look like if is shoes polish or derivative of it. So if you wanted to use it on a panel you would see the streaks but it does have it place. Forever black does have a website and they now offer a tires dressing that I think would be better for what you want to do. There are also trim gels like "Black chrome"
and meguiers. these gels will give you the effect you are looking for but they don't last long and they are usually on the oily side. Good luck deciding I hope the this give you a realistic idea. :thumbup:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Did you try a search? This has been on here a bunch of times.
I did search. Unfortunately I couldn't find those other threads you mentioned.

Thanks all for the tips. I'll be picking up a bottle of Mother's "Back to Black".

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
armorall sucks. it has a petroleum base which over time dries out the plastic. what you need is a silicon based product, like black magic tire wet or something similar to a professional quality product.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I've used mineral oil in the past. You can also use baby oil if you can't get enough of that baby smell - its just mineral oil with scent. The mineral oil shines up the black very nicely and holds on much longer than armorall. The only issue, don't use in very dusty conditions as it will pick up fine dust much easier (think why K&N uses oil).

·
needs more cowbell
5,946 Posts
back to black is a great product. i recommend it to anyone. i've even used it to restore my faded shutters on the house

1 - 17 of 17 Posts