Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question (again)... Is it possible to reset the computer in my car without a VAL-COM. I just bought a 1999 1.8T Passat Auto w/Tip. The battery was changed before I got the car and the airbag light is on and the tip isn't working. I would like to reset the computer to see if both things start to function properly (airbag light goes off and the tip working). Or if anyone has any suggestions of what I can do to solve atleast the tip prob.

The situation with the tip is simple... the car changes gears by it self even in tip mode. When I either hit the + or - it doesn't change either up or down...

Thats my dilema.... hope someone can help.

Thanks
Biggs

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Yes, very easy. Unlock the doors, pop the hood. Removed the black/negative cable from the battery. Be sure not to touch the red while doing this and put the black off to the side where it can't touch anything. Let it sit for 30 min. and connect it. This might fix the tip, but won't reset the air bag light most likely.

1 catch, the 1 touch down windows won't work. You will need to roll them all the way down, then all the way up. That will reset them and they will work again.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I had the battery dissconnected today for about 15 minutes i don't think the key was in the ignition and it didn't reset it. Do you think that that would work? Has anyone else tried it with sucess?

·
Registered
776 Posts
To reset the ECU:

1 Disconnect neg. terminal of battery for about 10 minutes.
2 Reconnect battery
3 Open driver's door and leave open (important!)
4 Turn ignition key to ON (don't start car) and leave it there for 3 minutes.

After that, your ECU should be reset.
Hope it fixes your problems.

·
Registered
696 Posts
FastPassat said:
To reset the ECU:

1 Disconnect neg. terminal of battery for about 10 minutes.
2 Reconnect battery
3 Open driver's door and leave open (important!)
4 Turn ignition key to ON (don't start car) and leave it there for 3 minutes.

After that, your ECU should be reset.
Hope it fixes your problems.
bzzzzt that will not reset the ecu

the ONLY way to clear codes and reset trims is with a vagcom or other obd2 scantools

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Your tip not working is more than likely due to a hardware problem, not a software one. Unfortunately, it requires replacement of the entire assembly as it is a bear to try and fix unless you know exactly what you are doing. IIRC, you can't buy just parts for it anyways (i.e., the magnets, which ususally are to blame).

The airbag light should not be on at all, and is again, probably not a software issue... I'd check under each of the front seats for the electrical harnesses to see if they are not unplugged. That would definetely trip the sensor.

Thrid, try going back to the dealer you bought it from. The tip they probably won't fix, but you may try asking for either money back or a deal on repairing it. But the airbag light being on should be on the dealer. they should front the money for fixing that, and i'm sure you can find a law saying somewhere that they're liable for it since it'd technically fall under the same lines of selling a car w/ ripped seatbelts since airbags are mandated these days.

HTH

·
Registered
776 Posts
That will reset the ECU, and it will loose all the readings and adjustments it recorded to adapt to the drivers driving style.

I didn't say it will clear fault codes, but it seems like hes problems were caused when the power was lost. Maybe a reset will fix it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
chrisyoon said:
Your tip not working is more than likely due to a hardware problem, not a software one. Unfortunately, it requires replacement of the entire assembly as it is a bear to try and fix unless you know exactly what you are doing. IIRC, you can't buy just parts for it anyways (i.e., the magnets, which ususally are to blame).

The airbag light should not be on at all, and is again, probably not a software issue... I'd check under each of the front seats for the electrical harnesses to see if they are not unplugged. That would definetely trip the sensor.

Thrid, try going back to the dealer you bought it from. The tip they probably won't fix, but you may try asking for either money back or a deal on repairing it. But the airbag light being on should be on the dealer. they should front the money for fixing that, and i'm sure you can find a law saying somewhere that they're liable for it since it'd technically fall under the same lines of selling a car w/ ripped seatbelts since airbags are mandated these days.

HTH
I have a local machanic (actually my friend )... Where can I get the magnets to replace if the ones in there are bad? And how much does it cost (US)? Also is there a place on the web that I can see how to access the tip magnets?

·
Loose female member
4,889 Posts
How's about putting down your location on your Sig, then maybe we could direct you to someone with a Vag-com.
This has to be your first move.
Get the thing scanned properly, none of this "close door, open door, turn on ignition, open trunk, pat head,blink eyes" Stuff.
The Airbag as mentioned should have been fixed by the person who sold you the car.
You didn't buy it like that did you?
The tip problem, that sounds like the switch unit within the tip lever. Yes there are magnets in there (Somewhere) but you will proberbly end up swapping out the whole switch unit.
The gears are changed by an electrical signal, not an actual mechanical operation.
Where is it? Do yourself a big favor and buy the Bently repair manual.
Your going to become pretty intimate with this car so best have a clue where you are going.
In the meantime, maybe someone could scan you an image.
I'm pretty sure some peeps in here have had to replace this unit $500 seems to ring a bell.

What ever you do, good luck..
Oh remember to say where you are, we can help :)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
V6er said:
How's about putting down your location on your Sig, then maybe we could direct you to someone with a Vag-com.
Get the thing scanned properly, none of this "close door, open door, turn on ignition, open trunk, pat head,blink eyes" Stuff.
The Airbag as mentioned should have been fixed by the person who sold you the car.
The tip problem, that sounds like the switch unit within the tip lever. Yes there are magnets in there (Somewhere) but you will proberbly end up swapping out the whole switch unit.
The gears are changed by an electrical signal, not an actual mechanical operation.
Your going to become pretty intimate with this car so best have a clue where you are going.
I'm pretty sure some peeps in here have had to replace this unit $500 seems to ring a bell.

I am in Miami FL... I actually have a Vag-com (borrowed from a friend) and ran the tests today. The airbag light is gone now. This came on once the battery was changed. I did a scan on the transmission (still new to this) and there were no codes for the transmission showing up... therefore i assume (as someone stated before) that this is hardware. If the car is under warranty, it should be covers by it correct? Let me know what you think!!! About the bently manual, I have the copy of the one online, haven't gotten a hard copy yet (will get it tomorrow).

·
Loose female member
4,889 Posts
biggatings said:
V6er said:

I am in Miami FL... I actually have a Vag-com (borrowed from a friend) and ran the tests today. The airbag light is gone now. This came on once the battery was changed. I did a scan on the transmission (still new to this) and there were no codes for the transmission showing up... therefore i assume (as someone stated before) that this is hardware. If the car is under warranty, it should be covers by it correct? Let me know what you think!!! About the bently manual, I have the copy of the one online, haven't gotten a hard copy yet (will get it tomorrow).
Good meeting you and your brother the other night Biggs,
It was fun trying to put the dash back together in the dark and thanks for the beer :)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No prob Steve... Thank you for checking things out for me... Went to the dealer about the tip and they said that the mechanism is defective.. so they are changing it for about $240 incl. labour etc.. not too bad...

Anyway Thanks again

Cheers :beer: :thumbup:

·
Loose female member
4,889 Posts
biggatings said:
No prob Steve... Thank you for checking things out for me... Went to the dealer about the tip and they said that the mechanism is defective.. so they are changing it for about $240 incl. labour etc.. not too bad...

Anyway Thanks again

Cheers :beer: :thumbup:
$240, not too bad at all.
What does that add up to? a couple of hrs tuition :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts