Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just recently purchased a 2000 and discovered that the lights that would normally lilluminate the heater/ac controls (hot/cold, fan speed, outlet selector) are not functioning. Although this is my second and I know where the controls are and what they do, it is frustrating. Does anyone know how to replace these ?
thanks
patrick

·
Registered
179 Posts
Some fix it by just banging on the side. it brings it back on. but, eventually you'll need to replace it anyway. There was a write up link on replacing the light but has not been working for a while. The trick is to pull the center knob with a nose pliers (cover it with a cloth to avoid scratching it.) Then gently remove the old bulb and place the new one in. The part # is N-017-751-2

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Yea, I just turned by fan speed knob to "2" and pulled it out with my bare hands. It came right out. There's one tiny bulb behind it that lights up the entire area.

·
Banned
1,496 Posts
Its not the bulb that is colored, its the tubes that the light feeds into so unless you changed those out, you're stuck with the red. Also, when doing this, I used a small piece of tubing to put the bulb back in so as not to crush it with the needlenose pliers. Works like a charm.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks everyone... the bulb was very tough to get out, but i have succeeded and thank you all for your help!

patrick

1 - 8 of 8 Posts