Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for a newbie question: How do you open the taillight assembly and replace the bulbs? My brake lights went out and I need them replaced.

Also, what bulbs do you recommend? I saw a post earlier recommended these:

Osram #7225
Philips #17881
Nerva #17881

P21/4W Euro I think is the specs for the bulbs. I think these may be available at most auto supply stores.
Thanks for any input!

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Just pull back the carpet in front of the light, and you'll see the back of it. All the lights are on a plastic piece the you just pinch the sides and it pops off. On a B5 thye brake light it the top bulb. The drivers side one is more diificult, you need to figure out how to get behind the cubby where the cd changer is.
-Hope this helps!

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I remember removing some hex nuts (at least on the driver side). Pull back carpet, remove the hex nuts from inside the trunk, and remove entire tail light assembly from outside the vehicle. Separate tail light assembly to reach bulbs.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
shummer said:
I remember removing some hex nuts (at least on the driver side). Pull back carpet, remove the hex nuts from inside the trunk, and remove entire tail light assembly from outside the vehicle. Separate tail light assembly to reach bulbs.
No, not necessary.

The part numbers from your original post are for a B5.5 and the Philips number is 12954. But, you need not worry about that since you have a B5, you need a P21W clear, which is a single filament I believe.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Replacing brake light for Passat Wagon

If all the lights are out, you may want to check the fuse panel first, which is on the far left side of the dash, accessible by opening the driver side door.

http://shakti.trincoll.edu/~sritchie/Passat_fuse_panel.html

I just replaced my brake lights on my 2001 Passat Wagon, but it is probably similar to other models.

1. On the inside rear of the car (probably the trunk for sedan models), remove the panel behind the rear lights.

You should see a black plastic assembly and a separate light gray protrusion. The black plastic assembly holds three bulbs: 2 brake/night lights and 1 back up light. The gray stick holds the turn signal bulb.

2. Remove the gray stick. On the passenger side, turn the stick clockwise first, then remove. If it is stiff, you can use a flat blade screwdriver and insert into the hollow gray stick. On the driver side, turn the stick counter-clockwise.

On the driver side you will be hampered by the sound system amp. You may find it easier if you unplug the cables from the amp and the light assembly first and move the cables aside. Keep track of which plug goes where.

3. Remove the black plastic light assembly. There are 2 plastic tabs, one on each side that must be depressed while pulling out.

4. Replace the bad bulbs. I was able to buy these at Kragen for $6.50. It is a 7225 mini-bulb.

5. Repeat this process in reverse to re-assemble.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Go LEDs for your brake lights!

where can you get LED brake lights? i assume its just an LED bulb of the same sized socket? i wanted to look into this or possibly a higher wattage bulb as i am about to tint the tails and didnt wanna restrict too much light emmitting so i figure a higher wattage bulb or LED could make up for the difference.

also i just changed my brake lights for the first time today and noticed an extra socket that didnt have a bulb in it...it was right next to the bulb spot for the reverse light, i assume it may be for a rear fog light? just to compare i pulled out the passenger side as well and noticed it didnt have it either...what was this for?

btw i drive a 98 b5 sedan if that matters.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Sorry for a newbie question: How do you open the taillight assembly and replace the bulbs? My brake lights went out and I need them replaced.

Also, what bulbs do you recommend? I saw a post earlier recommended these:

Osram #7225
Philips #17881
Nerva #17881

P21/4W Euro I think is the specs for the bulbs. I think these may be available at most auto supply stores.
Thanks for any input!
its 21/5w and go with the LL(longlife) eurospec sylvanias,and to have both brake lights out at the same time would mean its fuse #13,anyway while your at the auto parts store p/u a cheap haynes manual for when you have to change bulbs one day,its come in handy on my two passats when needed ,also heres a fuse link
http://shakti.trincoll.edu/~sritchie/Passat_fuse_panel.html

1 - 12 of 12 Posts