Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what tools do i need and how long will it take?i need to send my tails to jonboy in the am tomarrow
thanks
cass

·
Registered
303 Posts
8mm socket (IIRC) and 5 minutes

It's a piece of cake, you'll figure it out.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
If the B5s are similar to the B5.5s, all you'll need is a socket set (or a 8 or 10mm)- i think thats the size, a rachet, and it helps to have a socket driver as well.

Get a rag so you don't accidently drop the nuts down in the crevices of your trunk. It sucks to get them out, and if you don't have a magnectic wand, nows the time to get one.

The lights are straight forward, should be three nuts on each side. unscrew them all, then pull the wiring harness from the housing. viola!

·
Registered
364 Posts
all you need is a ratchet and sockets i think the socket size is either 10mm or 12mm not sure. each tailight has three screws each. to take out the driver side tailight open the first aid kit storage compartment remove the tailight bulb holders and locate the the screws. loosen and pull on the tailight. to take out the passenger side just remove the carpet covering the back of the tailight and repeat steps you did to take out the driver side tailight.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Same procedure for the Variant tails?

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
3 8mm sockets, should take 5 min, however i had a lot of problems with the left tail light's top nut, i couldn't get the socket in there.

since i had my sub installed a piece of plastic was already cut slightly, and i didn't have a smaller socket, so i snapped it off at the top, that way i could wiggle the socket into place. no one will ever know where i broke it, unless i show them :wink:

well, or they read this :cry:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.