Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How to Remove Rear Defroster Button on B5.5 Passat ?

Hi all,

I have a 2001 B5.5 Passat 1.8t.

Does anyone have first hand experience in removing the rear defrost switch button ?

I've seen a couple of videos for B5 models, but the location of the button is completely different from mine. Additionally, I am not sure if the metal retaining clip on the button is in the identical location on the B5 and B5.5. I have tried inserting a long flat head screwdriver on the sides and top of the switch button, but have not been able to feel the presence of a clip. A photo of a used button on the internet ( assuming it is the proper replacement part ) indicates the clip is on the top of the button. However, the photo does not show whether there is a second clip on the bottom.

On my B5.5, there are 3 buttons located immediately to the left of the stock radio. The buttons are arranged vertically, with the rear defrost button being the top one.

If anyone can provide advice and directions on how to remove the button ( including what tool they used ), I would be grateful.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
The Bentley manual says:

> Carefully loosen and remove the switch faceplate using a plastic wedge tool or wrapped screwdriver. (i.e. remove the button cap; they show prying out with the screwdriver at the top, while holding the bottom of the button with your thumb)

> Using pliers, grasp the switch at the top of the frame and carefully pull from the opening.

Same procedure for emergency flasher switch, rear window defogger switch, and seat heater regulator switches.

·
Registered
926 Posts
If the middle "button" is a blank -- it is on my B5 -- try popping out the blank (no clips), then putting a finger in the hole to push the rear defrost switch/button above out of the dash.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@ FrescoGreen01.5 : Many thanks for taking the time to consult the Bentley bible. I'll have to ask Santa for a copy. In the meantime, I will look for a suitable prying tool. There's not much of a gap to insert a tool, and I don't want to turn this into an impromptu wood carving session. I've already had my cloth covered screwdriver slip once, and nick the wood trim. Fortunately, the great info you have provided sheds light on where to insert the prying wedge.
Cheers.

@dbrick : Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, on my B5.5 I don't have the luxury of an easily accessible blank button. The 3 buttons in my car are arranged vertically. The top one is the rear defroster, the next one down is the driver's seat heater, and the bottom one is the ASR.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Alternately, take the radio out. Then, you can put a finger behind the switch, and push it out.
Takes away the possibility of chipping / scratching the trim.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alternately, take the radio out. Then, you can put a finger behind the switch, and push it out.
Takes away the possibility of chipping / scratching the trim.

Thanks for the suggestion, cuppie. I already tried that "back door " approach. When I removed the radio there is a large plastic housing frame that does not seem very keen to come out. Unfortunately, this plastic frame acts as a wall between the rear defroster button and where the radio resides. There were no visible screws or tabs in which to remove this plastic frame. There was just 1 small gap that was large enough so I could push a screwdriver against the rear of the defroster button. But the rear defroster button didn't budge.

I'm going to find a proper wedge tool and have another go.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Finally got the damn thing out.

After pulling off the outer faceplate of the switch button ( the part that has the defrost image) I inserted a butter knife at the top of the button, and then used some "friendly persuasion" with a pair of pliers to pull out the switch button.

Thanks again to all who offered advice.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts