Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I damaged the adjustment mechanism of the driver side headlight unit while replacing a bulb. I must have pushed too hard while trying to tighten the hi-beam into its socket. The mechanism seems to have come off the plastic adjuster balljoints.

How do I remove the headlight unit? I found 4 screws (2 top, 2 bottom) but was unable to take out the unit. Do I have to remove the grill in order to remove the lamp unit?

Has anyone experienced this before? Can I disassemble the unit and fix it or do I need new lamp unit?

2001 GLX V6
Thanks
JD van der Werf. San Francisco.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Ok this is easy I have done this b4.

First off remove those screws like you did, then with the stock bumper(I assume you have) remove the screws from along the top where the grill sits, remove the grill to, it might make it easier.

Then just detach the cable from the lights, then they should come out easily, just pull away the bumper part so there is more room.

I did this with my new bumper, but it should be the same concept with stock. I wish I could help its easier to do then expalin

Rich :)

PS Please let me know if this worked, thanks :thumbup:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Guys, Thanks for your feedback. I only completed this job today.

I had to remove the front bumper and even the profile that holds the grille to be able to remove the headlight unit.

I would probably not remove the wheels next time I had to do this.

I was able to pop the inner mounting back on the adjustment screw.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.