Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
After a bunch of prying, I found the sweet spot, at the narrow end, toward the shifter. Pop a small flat-blade in off center, and gently pry until the lower lid cover pops out.

Using a small flat-blade, gently pry around until the lower lid cover is free.

Pull out gently from the wide end, and the arm rest lid will release from the metal arm rest. The tabs holding the lid to the square holes in the metal arm rest are shown in the picture below. My thumb is near the one hole. When the lid is released from the metal arm rest you can slide the lid all the way off.

Done!

·
PassatWorld Elder
27,957 Posts
Wrong color. Mine's gray. I had someone agree to that 6 months ago but I could never figure out how to take it apart.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My ebay armrest came today and the entire hinge was included. Found out when I disassembled it that there is a different slide mechanism. I don't know if it is because it is leather or because it is 2004 not 2001.5 but the leather 2004 arm rest has detentes in the slide mechanism to lock the arm rest in place at either end.

Now to figure out how to swap the entire armrest including hinge...

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't recommend removing the hinge mechanism as the retaining clips break, and are not a separate item. Not surprisingly the retaining clips were not included with the hinge I bought on ebay. Off to j-b-weld.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I ended up zip-tying the hinges in place. The hinge from ebay was missing the ever important ratcheting mechanism reset, and this reset piece is a different design from the earlier one. So after all I removed the later hinge and reinstalled the earlier. Leather fits though!

Again, if you're going to replace the hinge, make sure your replacement has the retaining clips and the little plastic ratchet reset.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I need help, i've absolutely no idea what "Pull out gently from the wide end, and the arm rest lid will release from the metal arm rest."

What wide end?

I've stripped most of it, and i've just got the metal showing, but still attached to the mechanism.

Is it possible to shed some more like on where to gentle pull from?

Cheers

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
On the leather armrest, the cover would not come out as easily.

You will need a flat-blade screwdriver, and need to slide the armrest to a position where you can see and pry the plastic tabs while you pull the cover away. Take your time, don't break these tabs. There are two sets of tabs, once one set is popped out you will need to hold the cover away from the metal plate so that the tabs don't pop back in while you pry on the other side.

·
PassatWorld Elder
27,957 Posts
I pulled mine off of the slide with the metal plate attached. If you look at the 3rd pic, there is a plastic tab by the thumb. This is the stop for the slide. It hits a metal tab in the slide. I used a screwdriver like a shoehorn and slid the armest apart while pulling the cover up and away from the slide. It took a bit of force.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.