Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it's Saturday morning which means time to tackle the never ending honey-do list. First task is to replace the plastic window clips for the Passat B5 driver's side door. I did this by pulling the door panel out, not off. While preparing to reassemble everything, the door lock knob (black stalk) fell out of whatever it was attached to in the lock mechanism. I can't see in there well enough to figure out exactly how it is supposed to attach or if it is even possible without pulling out the entire lock mechanism. If I could just reattach it then I would be done. Can anyone shed some insight? I am so close to being done with this and don't want to pull the lock stuff apart (more chance for me to mess something else up) unless I absolutely have to. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,312 Posts
Sorry that I can't remember exactly, I think that it snaps into a plastic retainer. But it actually won't be that much more effort to fully pull the aluminum panel with latch, which also allows some lubrication of the latch and cable pulleys. You would need the triple-square driver to remove the latch fasteners, then behind the black plug on the back of the door, a screw which rotates the retainer for the exterior handle key lock. As you turn that screw, the lock housing become looser, to the point it can be removed by pulling the door handle enough for clearance. Don't turn the screw more than necessary to take the lock housing off.

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
Here is the rod that sticks out of the door that you can push on

Here is that same rod, connected to the lock mechanism. It's not that easy for the rod to become disconnected from the lock mechanism, unless something is broken by applying excessive force. Even then, I think bending of the rod would occur before breakage.

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
Showing close up view how lock push rod attaches to lock mechanism.

·
Registered
77 Posts
If you broke off the entire piece, then you'll have to go down to the aluminum panel and the latch assembly to reattach it (or replace the latch if you broke off the plastic piece the rod attaches to). If you only stripped the black plastic piece off of the metal rod that raises and lowers with the door lock, I'd probably just use glue or some Loctite and tell her you fixed it :lol:

·
Registered
2001 Passat wagon; 2016 Golf Sportwagen
5,432 Posts
... or just skip it, since it serves little, if any function, assuming your power lock system is working properly. I omitted the door lock buttons on both front doors of the A4 when I rebuilt the window mechanisms (plastic clips on one side, entire cable assembly on the other) -- no harm done.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts