Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sold my old wheels to a PW member, and want to know how you guys package your rims and tires for shipping. The ones i bought had just a piece of cardboard covering the rim and taped in like 4 different places. There were some scuff marks on the wheels from shippin w/ mine though, nothing bad and it should come out, when i have the time... I saw on the tirerack they recommend using 2 pieces of cardboard front and back and a foam sheet between the cardboard and the wheel and then taping in various places. Problem with that is i can't find foam sheets anywhere, asked post office she said they have bubble wrap, but no foam sheets, and didn't know where you could even get some around here (live in a very rural area)... Bubble wrap just sounds like it could sratch, maybe i'm wrong... So what do you guys use when you ship wheels w/ tires mounted? Oh, should i let all the air out but like 20 psi or does that really make a difference in weight for shipping? Thanks

·
Registered
406 Posts
The wheels and tires I received from Edge Racing had circular sheet foam and cardboard covering the wheels and sidewalls. Lots of fiber reinforced tape. Appeared that everything traveled well

·
Registered
9,414 Posts
you can drop them off @ any UPS drop off center and they pack it for you very well for like $3.50 a box x 2 ...... (casue two wheels fit in one box) ive done this plenty of times...
if you ship them as a round package theres a $5 surcharge for being a round package ....

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There is a UPS customer center 40 miles from me otherwise, the closest UPS store is 90 miles or so... I'll look into that i guess, sucks not having anything local...

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
fyi fedex is the cheapest to ship wheels. just go to staples, officemax, etc, and pick up the largest cardboard box they sell, a roll of bubble wrap, and some packing tape for $20

·
Registered
828 Posts
Any decently soft cloth that is large enough will do in place of the foam. If you don't hav eboxes that are exactly the right size, use lots of newspaper stuffing.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
think i am going to go to the UPS store in the morning... have to leave by 6:30 to get there by 8 and be back to work by 10... but then i don't have to worry about if i shipped them packaged correctly or not... thanks guys

·
Registered
11,873 Posts
you can drop them off @ any UPS drop off center and they pack it for you very well for like $3.50 a box x 2 ...... (casue two wheels fit in one box) ive done this plenty of times...
if you ship them as a round package theres a $5 surcharge for being a round package ....
They wanted 20 bucks a tire to do that at my UPS store, WTF

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, I went that route and total came to $196 to ship four wheels w/ tires mounted... they weighed 45 lbs each, they said they would put two to a box... Not the most economical route, but i didn't want to screw it up... Guess i should have let some air out maybe, i dunno why it was soo much.

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
are you selling the monte carlos already?

When i shipped them to you, I just dropped off the wheels/tires and the guy said, he will take care of it all. I didnt know how he was gonna ship it until you told me when u got them. It only cost me $160 TOTAL to ship it from MN to NE.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
i just shipped a set of 58lb/per wheel/tire combos individually wrapped for $220 with materials from pittsburgh to vegas.

i found this nice thin foam sheet taht i put on the faces. i cant think what size box i bought from office max, but it was $6 and when cut, divides nicely into 8 equal pieces about 20"/side. used some packing tape to strap it all together and sent them off.

·
Registered
828 Posts
The sweet spot for most pacakge companies (USPS, UPS, FedEx Ground, etc) seems to be 50-60 pounds. So, it is generally cheaper to ship 2 wheels together in a single box, but, if you have tires on the rims, it is generally less to do 4 individual "packages".

Tires shipped without wheels generally costs more than anticipated because they end up getting charged by volume (a heavier weight than they actually are) because they take up a lot of space for their weight.

But $220 for 4 wheels and they didn't even go all the way across the continent...that sounds a bit stiff....

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
keep in mind they were heavy cast 19" wheels on heavy 235-35 pirellis. a 58lb 25x25x10.5 package isnt small/light

i will never ship wheels doubled up, the one time someone did that to me, the ups store packaged them loose. so i got a rare set of wheels on stretched tires demolished by rattling around in a box. plus the movement ripped open the box and lost a centercap that was 10 years out of production.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Yes, a 58 lb package isn't light.

OTOH, if you are just doing wheels (and have the right size boxes), shipping 2 together is not a big deal. I live very close to a source, but the best way to do this is a box the proper size for the wheel, then placed inside the next size up (say a 16x7 inside a 17x8) and joined with another similar box with the flaps overlapping eachother.

Shippped quite a few wheels this way and never had problem 1.

·
Registered
9,414 Posts
They wanted 20 bucks a tire to do that at my UPS store, WTF
didnt know it was wheels and tires thought it was just wheels.... the UPS drop off center is different than the UPS retail store i noticed that it was more expensive @ the store than the drop off /pick up center......

1 - 16 of 16 Posts